Chapter 47

Abby twisted on the bed left and right. Regardless of the extreme fatigue, she could not get her mind to turn off.

Even though her eyes were closed and the room was engulfed in darkness, she could still feel Liam's piercing gaze on her.

She kept waking every hour only to find him constantly besides her.

His intense gaze pricked over her body like needles.

Sighing, she opened her eyes again to see the man still watching her. He has been like this all night long.

Everytime she opened her eyes, he was wide awake keeping a close watch on her as if she is going to disappear soon.

The man either kept staring at her with those affectionate eyes of his or seldomly gaze out of the window into the darkness of the night.

No one knew what kind of nightmares was playing inside his head but the silent storm in his eyes was a clear evidence of the hell he was going through.

"Come here"

Although she wanted to yell at him and ask him what his problem was but the expression on his face made her swallow the bitter words back.

Abby sighed heavily and gently called the lonely man over to her.

Standing seldomly by the window, the man resembled an injured bird who lost his ability to fly or even rebel.

Like he had given up all hopes of freedom and accepted his fate of forever being locked in his cage.

Hearing Abby call for him, Liam quietly padded to the bed.

"Do you need anything?"

He whispered in a low voice. He was afraid to disrupt their son's sleep.

Now that he was near her, Abby could see his red eyes and weak figure. It was clear to her that Liam hasn't slept for days and his whole figure was evident of that.

She rubbed her temples in frustration.

What the fuck was she doing?

Abby scold herself mentally. Regardless of how cruel and heartless she was, she refused to ignore the soundless cry of a struggling person. Especially, if the person took care of her son in her absence.

Abby scooted over the bed to make some space. She padded the space behind her as invitation for the man to get in.

Stunned Liam stared at her. His pupils dilated in shock and every muscle in his body locked up.

Time itself slowed down for him as he stood there frozen in his stance for ages. His eyes moving rapidly between the empty spot on the bed and his wife's face.

Everything in him screaming to grab this final chance at the speed of lightning but years of hysteria has fucked up his brain to the point that he could not get himself to believe this rare moment.

His panicked mind kept reminding him that this was another one of his illusions and the reality is cruel as ever.

"Are you planning to get in or not?"

She rolled her eyes in frustration.

Why does she always have to spell every little thing out for him?

The fucker really knows how to mess with my head.

Abby glared at the man hatefully for manipulating her.

Startled out of his trance, Liam finally reacted.

Hesitantly, he slowly neared her. He resembled nothing but a scared puppy. Very gently he settled himself in the cramped space on the bed behind her, making sure to not touch any part of her body.