Chapter 39

Are you sure, it tastes fine?" Liam asked his staff for the millionth time. He finished cooking the food. He had insisted on cooking everything so the chefs had no choice but to back down.

"Yes, sir. It's delicious."

The staff assured him for the hundredth time.

"Will they like it? I mean, is it eatable?" Liam asked nervously.

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Yes sir."

The staff laughed at the way their once cruel boss was behaving. He was acting a crushing teenager.

Liam was being paranoid for no reason. He had tasted the food himself and it tasted fine to his pallet but Abby and Cole were a hole different story.

It was his first time cooking anything in his life, let alone for anyone else. The dinner was prepared under the strict instructions of not one but
three five star chefs, so there was a very low chance of it turning out bad.

However, Liam couldn't stop the bats flying in his stomach with nerves. After all it was for his wife and son. Their first dinner in his house had to be special and memorable.

"I will get them then. You all set the table."

Liam sighed in relieve and finally left to call Abby and Cole.

He stood outside Cole's bedroom rubbing his hands nervously. He could hear the faint sound of TV through the closed door.

They must be watching TV.

It was really nothing to be nervous about. All he had to do was tell his wife that the dinner was ready. With a final nod, Liam encouraged himself to finally open the door.

He slowly entered the room and went towards the bedroom area. The familar tone of Tom and Jerry could be heard in the room but the TV was turned off.

Liam turned towards the bed to see both mother and son passed on the car bed. The bed was too small for both Abby and Cole and she looked really uncomfortable in the position she was.

Her legs hanged off the bed frame and her back plastered to wall. Half of her body on the bed and the other laid on the bed rack in a very uncomfortable position yet she still held her son dearly.

Liam's heart broke at the site. A sad smiled graced his lips. All of his efforts went to waste. His wife and son slept without eating dinner.

He moved further into the room and gently took the phone from Abby's hand. He turned off the cartoons playing on her phone and placed it on the table.

Even though he really wanted them to taste his cooking, he didn't have the heart to wake them up. He turned around to get the blanket when he noticed the empty pizza box beside the bed table.

He smiled sadly.

Off course, Abby would never let Cole sleep hungry. She was too caring of a mother.

She didn't want anything to do with me

The reality hurt like a bitch.

Liam gently picked up the box and threw it in the trash. His heart was ripped once again by the people he loved the most.

Sighing sadly, he opened the blanket and covered the two mother son duo.

He gently pulled the hair out of Abby's face and ruffled Cole's hair before sitting on the floor beside the bed. He leaned his head against the bed railing and grabbed Abby's hand that was hanging off the bed. He kissed it gently, tenderly and turned off the light.