Chapter 32: Out Of Reach

Just a reminder that I recently put out a chapter before this one so you might want to check that out first if you haven't already to avoid any confusions!

Also, the first chapter of my new fanfic "Tainted" is already up if anyone is interested :)

~

Ivy Bell:

Justin's apartment complex made mine look like a shoebox.

"Stop staring, you weirdo." Justin mumbles, nudging me forward from my spot and towards the elevators.

We're each carrying a boxful of materials and Justin had the concierge give us a helping hand with the rest of my things.

"Sorry." I sheepishly reply. I feel like such a wheeb for being so absorbed in the architecture of a building, but this place really took it up a notch.

It felt less like a complex building and more like Patricia Mallette's studio. Shiny, reflecting tiles, a pristine lobby desk, tight security quarters and tall, never ending glass windows that viewed one of the most expensive parts of Upper Manhattan.

"This place better have the best view of all of New York City or else I've been lied to." I threaten jokingly as Justin leads us into the elevator.

He chuckles, "Just you wait, sweetheart."

I freeze momentarily and Justin seems to realize his slip up when he bites his lower lip. "Sorry." He mumbles, doe brown eyes peaking. I don't respond, instead, I try to calm my rapid beating heart that betrays me.

The elevator panel holds numbers past fifty. Justin jams his finger against the cursive "P" button before scanning his security card and the shaft begins shifts upwards in one smooth pull.

"P...?"

He shares a sly grin. "Penthouse."

Of course.

When the doors open, I'm absolutely gobsmacked. Never would I have ever imagined that I would get to enter a penthouse in one of the most expensive living spaces in New York City.

The place was all open space and high ceilings. In the living space, there were two long velvet blue couches that expanded along the space and curved towards each other with a glass coffee table in the centre. It was stacked with old vinyls and magazines.

Off to the side, I noticed a huge staircase which Justin had helpfully informed me lead to the sleeping quarters. The man actually used the term "sleep quarters".

Every inch of the penthouse featured distinct paintings and art sculptures, including a giant grand piano that sat by the glass window in all its ever flowing glory.

Despite the high end looks of this place, bits and pieces of Justin's heart filled the room with love.

Whether that was the wall of vinyls he had showed me, the many, many musical instruments that littered each part of the penthouse or the fashion magazines that featured his mother's work on his coffee table, they were all the truest parts of his soul.

And the view... the view was something out of a dream.

We were up so high that we towered over most of the buildings in a mile radius. All I could see were blue skies, sky scrapers and the endless possibilities. For once, everything seemed possible. Only we were out of reach from everyone else.

"I feel like I'm in the Empire State Building."

Justin chuckles deeply and I just realize that he had been watching. "Glad to be out of your sauna you call a home?"