Chapter 27: It's A Date

Ivy Bell: 

"Ivy!" A voice calls out once I step out from the elevator. Elliot was sitting in one of the white couches in the lobby and pushes off from his seat to jog over towards me. Marco who's still holding a box full of my sewing materials from home stiffens by my side.

The other boy slows his pace as if he's just noticed my best friend's presence. A smile graces his lips as he puts out a hand. "Hey, I'm Elliot."

Marco eyes his hand and his green eyes flicker back up to Elliot's gaze as he arches an eyebrow. I elbow Marco who turns his glare towards me. "Sorry," I say to the model who just grins slyly. "No worries. Is this your boyfriend?" 

Elliot's tone isn't rude, it's more so curious, but the subtly in his charming demeanour comes off almost as a challenge. 

I feel a rush of blood rise to my cheeks as I furiously begin to shake my head. Marco seems to have gone mute as he registers Elliot's words. I clear my throat. "Marco is not my boyfriend... just a good friend." I clarify.

Marco's jaw tightens and I nudge him towards the direction of the exit. "I'll meet you in the car, okay?" 

My best friend readjusts the box in his hands as he mumbles incoherently under his breath. He passes Justin and Catalina who I've just noticed lounging by the glass doors where Elliot was once sitting. Justin momentarily eyes Marco who pays no mind to him before his gaze finds its way back to Elliot and I by the elevator. I take a step back, clearing my throat again. "Can I help you?" 

The sly grin is back on Elliot's handsome features. He leans against the wall, covering the elevator panel. "Actually, I wanted to ask you something." 

"Didn't you already do that when you asked if Marco was my boyfriend?" 

"You're right, but I have a follow-up question." His dimples pop. 

"Lay it on me." I try to relax, reminding myself that it's only Elliot. Then an internal alarm goes off in my head, posting out the obvious which happened to be our watchful audience. 

Behind Elliot's tall figure, Catalina leans against Justin's side. Her eyes meet mine from over his shoulder and she winks at me. By her right, Justin's gaze is cool and set as if he's waiting for a ticking time bomb to explode behind us. My stomach churns in discomfort and I force myself to focus on the boy in front of me.

"Well, there's a charity event this Saturday night. Maybe you've heard of it? It's the Dagwood's annual dinner party." He explains.

I've heard of it. The Dagwood's are a very well known family. Felix Dagwood and his wife Emily Dagwood are both actors and environmental activists who hold this huge, exclusive dinner party with a bunch of other A-list celebrities who've helped make donations. Every year they select a new organization to donate the proceeds to and there's always a lot of attention put towards it in the media. 

"Um, I've heard of it." I'm still confused as to why Elliot was talking about this event to me out of everyone. I believed in the cause of the Dagwood's annual dinner and I'm well aware of the amount of support they've given to all those organizations, however, it wasn't an event I was too familiar with personally. Despite the fact, I had to admit, I was a little curious to see where Elliot was going with this.

"Amazing, well, this year's focus is placed on women's rights and the donations would be going towards the nonprofit Females United, in honour of the Me Too movement, and I was wondering..." He pauses, biting his lower lip as his head leans forward, "would you do me the honour of accompanying me this year?" 

"M-me?" 

I feel the confusion take over my body like a rushing current from the depths of the water as deep as the blue in his eyes. Elliot seems to notice my hesitance because he chuckles. A gentle hand reaches to grab my own and he brings it up between us.