Chapter 9: Lashing out

Ivy Bell:

The next morning, I forced myself to leave the comfort of my bed to get ready for an extremely long day back at the internship.

I was extremely tired because I stayed up all night to work on my designs for the fashion show. Nothing is certain yet, but I've been sketching and trying to figure out patterns and fabrics I'd like to include in my future designs.

I have to keep my sketchbook close and ensure it is with me at all times if I bring it out of the apartment. If I lose it, I risk losing all of the designs I have ever sketched in this booklet. 

Deciding it would be best to leave it at home today, I close up my sketchbook before setting it aside on my desk. After getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I head out a bit earlier than usual to grab some coffee for Maia, Jonah, myself and even Josephine.

As usual, I order Maia her venti soy quadruple shot latte with no foam, a cappuccino for both Jonah and Josephine, I asked Jonah ahead of time on what they both like, and a latte for myself. I double checked to ensure that the barista got Maia's order right about three times before thanking the annoyed woman behind the counter. 

"Have a lovely day!" I grin on my way out. 

Just the thought of having coffee made me super giddy so when I entered past the glass doors that morning to find Jonah leaning against the lobby desk, he arched an eyebrow. "Good morning little miss sunshine, you seem oddly happy."

"I'm always happy," I counter back, placing the coffees on the marble top of the reception desk. The only time I'm generally unhappy is when Justin is around and since he isn't here right now, it means I can enjoy my coffee in peace!

Jonah playfully rolls his eyes at me and I say a good morning to Josephine who warily eyes me and mumbles a small 'hi' back before busying herself with her work.

"Coffee run?" Jonah questions, bringing my attention back to the coffee out in front of us. "Oh, I actually brought two for you guys!" I exclaim, taking out the two cappuccinos for the couple.

Josephine looks surprised by my friendly gesture as I hand her a cup. She hesitantly takes it, her blue eyes unsure. "Thanks..." She replies. 

Jonah doesn't hesitate to take his cup. "You are a life saver, thanks Ivy." He grins, taking a sip.

"No problem, now if you'll excuse me, I need to find Maia before her coffee gets cold."

Bidding a quick goodbye to the two, I make my way through the building to find Maia. Unsurprisingly, she's on the tenth floor, barking orders at interns. I patiently wait until she's done yelling at people to give her the coffee.

She turns, suddenly feeling my presence. Her eyes are blazing in annoyance when she swivels to look at me, ready to snap at my reason for being so close, but her eyes land on the coffee extended out to her before she can hiss out an insult.

"What is that?" She eyes it suspiciously.

"It's your usual order. I thought you might like some so I picked it up for you," I wait for her to take it, but she doesn't.

"Is it a-"

"Venti soy quadruple shot latte with no foam? Yes." I finish for her, still waiting for her to take the coffee which is finally does.

"Did you-"

"Check? Yes I did."

"Th-"

"Three times." I confirm in a light voice and Maia sighs.

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little cranky right now, but this should help lighten my mood. Thank you, Ivory." She sends a small smile my way and I grin to myself when I realize how much happier she looks with a cup of coffee in hand. If only coffee could solve all our problems.