Doorstep Dummies/Piggy Punks

So, I am often get asked about the extent of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim harassment in America due to what happens in my story, Chasing Pearls. While I tend to cite a lot of incidents from the news and such to explain that horrible things do happen, I cite my own experiences to show that the situation isn't as extreme as some may worry. I usually respond with explanations that I have not directly experienced any such issues as appear in my books or the news.

I guess I can no longer do that.

Some dummies yesterday decided to drop a pig's foot at my doorstep.

I don't know who or when. Some time around 3 in the afternoon, my dad called me outside and asked me if I had put some meat out for the local stray cats (the Beggarsons, as I call them). I went to look at what he meant and I inspected it as best as I could without touching it. The skin of the animal had been turned inside out and was covering the bottom, so you could only pink meat and fur. It was a small piece. But I moved around in every angle to look and from what I could tell, it was a foot. And I knew it wasn't from a goat or a sheep, I slaughter plenty of those a year to know their feet and fur. It wasn't a cow. By the hair and smell and odd look, it was indeed a pig.

My dad kicked it off the doorstep with disgust before I could take a picture. Then one of the Beggarsons came and snatched it up and ran into the bushes with it.

Alas, I am left to wonder now, from where did it come and when? Clearly someone has taken notice of the very Muslim family living in the neighborhood, but it has been years that we've been here and the landowners for over a decade have been Muslim. Perhaps, with the 4th of July nearing, someone felt extra "patriotic" and decided they didn't like seeing someone in a thobe and turban enter and exit the house? Maybe tomorrow I'll switch it up and do a thobe and ghutrah. That'll be nice, right? 😜

Anyways, yeah, so...  that's been my weekend excitment. What about you all? What's happened to/for you this weekend? Let me know down below, and if you or a relative/friend have experienced any kind of Islamophobia or anti-Muslim harassment in your state or country, tell us about it down below. Let's hear it, yeah?

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh