My Menu Is...

السلام عليكم

Hey, everyone. So recently in one of my classes, my teacher got to talking about food from home (she's Syrian) and then as a class we all began talking about what sorts of food we eat in our households. She went through the classroom asking what everyone makes or eats, and for the most part, everyone stuck to traditional meals from their heritage, or American fast foods. So we had people talking about Mexican dishes, Palestinian, Lebanese, Egyptian, and some American dishes from two African-American girls.

When it got to me, the teacher asked what does my mom usually cook.

Insert laugh.

As some of you may or may not know, I am actually the main cook in my household. Been so for years, and personally I think it's better this way (I highly prefer my cooking for my mom's, even for the few dishes I learned from her, I improved upon lol). Anyways, so that seemed to be enough of a shocker for some of the people. And then when I started listing how I make a variety of foods from different places to keep things interesting, they were really surprised lol.

And that got me thinking, what DO other people eat? Like, last night I thought over the list of dinners I've had for the past week and while I didn't cook every one of them, they were still a more diverse cuisine than some of the other people in class who just stick to what's common back home.

Sunday: Roasted Lamb Shoulders with spiced rice and spinach (mom cooked).

Monday: Peri Peri Chicken and Jollof rice and spinach (I cooked)

Tuesday: Burritos (I cooked)

Wednesday: Leftovers (ie more burritos that I cooked)

Thursday: Chicken Biryani

Friday: Meatball sliders (mom cooked)

Saturday: Pizza  (we ordered from a local Muslim place)

Sunday: Spiced rice, Kufta, and cabbage (I cooked most, sis made the cabbage)

Tonight: Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese (well actually I used rotini), fried chicken, and salad.

As for tomorrow? Idk what the  heck I'll make. We eat a lot of rice lol. And though I can't quite remember the exact meals we had in the weeks before (funny how memory works eh?), I know I usually try to keep things from becoming routine. Even when we have to have rice and meat or beans and rice, I try to do them in different styles and recipes from different cultures.

The whole reason I started cooking as the main cook of the house was well, my mom got into a cycle of repeats lol. Tacos one night. Daal and rice next. Bbq chicken and potatoes. Spaghetti. Blackeyed peas and rice. And then repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

And I wanted more diverse foods. I try to use recipes from different places. Different continents and cuisines. I don't have as many pics as I thought, but here's a sample of some stuff I've made (for dinner only, lunch and breakfast aren't included).

 I don't have as many pics as I thought, but here's a sample of some stuff I've made (for dinner only, lunch and breakfast aren't included)