Chapter 21 - If We Could Only Turn Back Time

Harry’s POV

“L-Lauren?” I stutter, not able to believe what I’m seeing. Her arm is in a bright pink cast and there’s a bandage on her forehead. Other than that, she looks unharmed.

She nods, still smiling brightly and approaches my bed. I try to sit up with much difficulty, but I manage. Zayn stands and offers Lauren his chair. She thanks him and sits down beside me. I reach out and brush my hand along her cheek. She blushes and I feel the heat rush to her cheek. She looks down, embarrassed. I move my hand down to her chin and with my index finger and thumb, I gently raise her head so she’s eye to eye with me. I find myself falling into the abyss that is her eyes. Her gorgeous, hazel eyes. I finally pull my gaze away from her eyes and trail down to her lips.

I start leaning in, Lauren doing the same. Someone coughs, but I ignore them. I don’t want to ruin this moment.

Our lips finally meet and my body is finally ignited again by the spark I feel whenever we used to kiss. I smile into the kiss and enjoy the warm feeling that’s spreading through my body. Our lips move in perfect synch, molding together perfectly.

Someone coughs again, and this time, it’s enough to wake me. My eyes shoot open and I’m immediately blinded by the light. I look around, searching for Lauren, but she’s nowhere in sight. I shut my eyes tight and reopen them, hoping they’re just deceiving me. I blink a few times, but nothing changes.

I turn to my right and see Shaylean sitting in the hard orange, plastic chair beside my bed, Louis with his hand on her shoulder. Shay leans forward and embraces me in a tight hug. She begins crying and her sobs make her whole body tremble. The tears that soak through the sleeve of the hospital gown are enough to confirm my fears. The words don’t need to be said.

She’s gone.

Gouge to the chest. Severed aorta. That’s what the doctors told me happened to Lauren. At least she wouldn’t have suffered long.

*A week later*

The lads came and picked me up from the hospital today. They were all excited for me to be released, but I don’t care. Why should I?

We get to the flat and I go straight to my room, closing the door behind me.

I walk over to my desk where I’ve kept photos of Lauren and I. I pick up one of the frames and stare longingly at the photo. We were sat at the kitchen counter in my mum’s house. It was the day we first said “I Love You”. I’ll never forget how her smile lit up the room, and my life.

Despite what went down, I never stopped loving her. Not a day went by where I didn’t think about her. And it’ll always be that way.

A tear slowly rolls down my cheek and lands on the glass of the photo frame. I blink rapidly, trying to fight back the tears. But they won’t stop. The tears stream down my face and onto the frame and the floor. I feel the anger boiling up in me and I launch the frame across the room. It hits the wall with a sickening thud and shatters instantly.

I lean against the wall beside my door and slide down. I pull my knees into my chest and hug them tight, rocking back and forth. I let the uncontrollable sobs simply take over my body.

I hear my door open and close again, but I don’t look up. I can feel whoever came in slide down beside me. I keep hugging my knees tight to my chest, keeping my head tucked in my knees. I don’t try to fight the bone shattering sobs, I just let them keep coming, not caring if anyone sees me like this.

Someone wraps their arm around my shoulders and pulls me into them. I try to inhale deeply, but come out choking on my sobs, which just makes me cry harder.

“Shhh… It’s okay Harry. I’m here,” they whisper. They wrap their arms tighter around me and I feel slightly more relaxed. I pull my head up and lean into their chest, letting them fully embrace me. I inhale again and smell the familiar scent of Niall’s cologne.

The door opens again and I hear multiple sets of footsteps coming closer. In seconds, more arms are wrapping themselves around me. I pull away from Niall and find that all the lads are here to comfort me. I have never felt so happy to have these guys around. To support me, to comfort me, to save me. I wrap my arms around them this time, so glad to have their company.

“It’s going to be alright. You can get through this Harry,” Liam says soothingly. “We’re here for you.”

“Yeah Haz, we’re going to get through this together, I promise,” Louis pitches in.

“I know it’s tough,” Zayn starts hesitantly, “But we’re going to help you.”

“We’re a family,” Niall says. “Never forget that.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've decided to end the story soon. I think that there'll be just one more chapter. Sorry this one's bad. Thans for reading anyways. Tweet, comment, vote, fan, etc, etc... I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks! <3

Love you all

-Lauren (1DteamCanada1D)