Chapter 4 - Blame It On The New Girl

*2 Days later, Tuesday*

Lauren’s POV

“Now Lauren, since you refuse to see the counselor, I would like you to write in this diary. Write down everything. Don’t bottle it up inside. It is very common for people to experience negative emotions and suicidal thoughts after traumatic experiences. If you won’t go to the counselor, please, at least fill out this journal. Treat it like a diary…”

God, the doctors here are irritating. I don’t need to fill out some stupid journal. I’m perfectly fine.

“Ready to go, Lauren?” Shaylean asks as I walk out of the hospital room.

“Yeah, let’s get out of here.”

We walk to her car, and drive away in silence. The journal weighs down on my lap. Maybe it wouldn’t kill me to write a couple things in it, I think. Just to shut the doctor up.

When we get to my house, Shay offers to help me in and make sure I’m okay. “I’m fine Shay, really.”

“Are you sure? I can stay a while if you want…”

“No, it’s fine. I promise I’m okay.”

“If you say so.” She drives away, looking frustrated. I’m sure she’ll get over it. She’ll just go to Louis and talk it out with him anyways. I go straight to my room, but I roll my eyes as I do, noticing my parents aren’t home. Again. They’re always out of town “on business”. For weeks at a time. Oh well, it just means I can live in peace for a bit. At least they always make sure there’s food in the house, and the bills are paid.

It’s Tuesday afternoon, and I haven’t been given any homework from my time off. Since I have nothing else to do, I decide to sit down at my desk and open the journal to the first page.

May 8th,

Dear Diary:

I pause and think about what to write. After some serious thought, I consider taking the doctor’s advice. I choose to write down everything I’m feeling right now.

Right now, I feel lost. Scared. Hopeless. Sad. Confused. Since I woke up after the “incident”, I’m afraid to be alone. I can’t believe Harry came and saved me after what I did. I think I really do like Harry, but it’s complicated. I kissed him when I was drunk, and then ran away. I was lucky he chose to follow me. Or who knows what else could’ve happened. He was so brave. I’ll never be able to repay him. He saved my life. I don’t know what to do. He hesitated so much when I asked him to hang out with me. I don’t think he wants to be around me. Especially after the way he ran out of the room the other day. He has my number now, but I haven’t heard anything from him. What have I gotten myself into? I just don’t know what to do anymore.

Wow, that was actually so much easier than I thought it would be. And I feel so much better. I still have no idea what to do about the situation with Harry, but I feel so much better after writing that down. Maybe this diary thing could work for me.

* Wednesday, at school*

I close my locker and head to my first class. I spot Shay, and stop to say hi. “How are you doing Lauren?” she asks, looking really concerned. Man, you’d think I’m a psychopath or something, the way she looks at me. Like I’m about to break down at any time.

“I’m doing alright, Shay,” I reply, smiling at her. She seems satisfied enough, as she smiles back and links arms with me. We walk down the hall, arm in arm, to our class. English. Nothing like double English at 8am. At least we sit together. That makes everything easier, and the time goes by so much faster. I suppose we should pay a little but more attention though.