Chapter 17 - The Heart Can Only Take So Much

Hey guys! So sorry it took so long to update! I've been super busy working, and my cousin's been down from Belfast, so I've been trying to spend as much time with her as I can! Anyways, hope you like this one :) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment or tweet me (@1DteamCanada1D) and let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions or ideas for the story, I'm open to them :) I promise it won't take as long for the next chapter!!

- Lauren xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry’s POV

“L-Lauren?” I stutter. Great start, Harry, I think to myself. Stuttering like a fool.

She nods slowly, ducking her head again, seeming so vulnerable and sad. She turns to leave again, but I grab her arm once more. I can’t lose her this time. Not after making the horrible mistake of letting her go two years ago. I never wanted her to leave. But I was just so angry at what she did, and with my best friend of all people! I haven’t seen or spoken to either of them since that day at the football match.

She suddenly rips her arm away from me and stands there, glaring hatefully towards me. Her expression pains me. It’s full of hurt, sadness, and anger. Her eyes narrow and her lips begin to twitch.

“What do you want?” she demands angrily.

“I just want to talk, Lauren. Please,” I beg. She starts to laugh.

“After all this time, after what you said, you want to talk to me?” She shakes her head and snorts. I nod, my eyes beginning to water a bit. I blink, trying to stop the tears. “You think that after all the messages and calls you ignored from me, that I would just come back to you like that?” she adds, snapping her fingers for emphasis.

“No, but I – ” I start, but she cuts me off.

“Save it, Styles. I don’t want to hear it.”

“Lauren, please…” I trail off, not sure how to proceed anymore.

“You have no idea what I went through after you left me, Harry! How much pain you caused me! You have no fucking idea!” she screams at me, fiddling with the bracelets on her wrists. I watch her in horror, knowing there’s nothing I can say to fix what I did. I’m transfixed to my spot, not sure of what to do, scared to move. She shakes her head again and rolls her eyes at my lack of response. She walks past me, shoving my shoulder as she goes.

“I love you,” is all I can manage to say as she leaves, but I know she doesn’t hear it. I’ve really screwed up, and I need to fix it. I need her. But she’s changed so much. I feel like I don’t know anything about her anymore. I need to figure out how to make things right, and I need to do it fast. I can’t let her go again, I just can’t.

Lauren’s POV

I hate him, I hate him, I hate him. I keep trying to tell myself this as I run through the park, but I know it isn’t true. I still love him, and I think I always will. Why did I treat him so horribly? How could I do that? He looked so heartbroken.

But he broke MY heart. He doesn’t deserve a chance to talk to you, I think.

He’s the one who never returned my phone calls, ignored all my messages, and never ever gave me a chance to explain. So why should I let him talk?

I stop running and collapse on the ground. I hug my knees to my chest and let the tears fall again. I pull out my phone and look through my contacts. I need someone to talk to. I need a friend right now. Someone who’s been there for me since the beginning. Someone who’s never left my side, despite how screwed up my life is.