3. Death

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncovered my face. I blink, closed my eyes and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrates the window and stab my eyes with it's knives.

I was more aware of the fact that my head aches badly than the layer of dehydrated saliva that coated my cracked lips. Once I stood up on my feet the room swayed almost causing me to lose balance and I reached out for the wall. My hands slipped along the high sheen paint and I sprawled unto the floor with a crashing thump.

I used the bed sheet to pull myself up and the room swirled again before becoming stationary. I felt like there was a balloon under my cranium, slowly being inflated, pressure mounting.

"How many drinks did I take last night?" I asked myself but I couldn't remember anything.

I now understand why they call it hangover! It felt like the blackest of clouds are over my head with no intention of clearing until late in the afternoon.

"I need a cold shower...." I murmured to myself and made my way to the bathroom.

I splashed cold water on my face just to feel something refreshing and instantly wish I could wash my brain free of the toxins too. I did my business and walked out.

I walked into my closet and pulled out a blue skinny jeans and black Cardigan. I changed into them and matched my outfit with a black sandal and black shoulder bag.

*********************

Walking through the hospital hallway, I noticed that it has the same personality as the rest of the hospital. The floor is slate grey and the walls are white. Above every door I pass is a large plastic sign, dark with white lettering - no fancy fonts, just bold and all caps. There are commercial prints on the wall, tasteful in a dull kind of way.

My eyes fell on the flowers in my hand,lilies, my mom's favourite flowers. I branched at a flower shop on my way here and suddenly I don't mind their cost anymore, its worth it, mom's going to need some colors in here.

I pushed the door open and I froze .

I was scared.

I was nervous.

I can't even describe how I felt right. You know that feeling when someone you love dearly is in pains and you can't do anything about it.

I can't just lost my mom now! She's all I have, she's been my rock all through the events in my life, both good and bad. She was basically everything to me.

I opened the door widely and walked in, wary of the figure that laid before me. She looked so peaceful that I didn't want to wake her up but I have to.

"Mom?" I shook her slightly and she slurred

My heart skipped a bit when she opened her black orbs, she looked so broken! her eyes were dull! the spark was no longer there!

"You're here" she murmured and a smile crossed her thin lips. Her hair was losing color, shades of grey becoming apparent.

I stayed silent just staring at her resisting the urge to cry.

"Kathryn" she croaked

"Mom how are you?" I idiotically blurted

She was clearly not fine.

"I'm fine baby" she replied smiling weakly

"Mom be real with me, how are you feeling? any changes?"

"Katy...um...I.. I..uh...I'm" she stuttered and I frown

"You know Katy... I'm... erm--"

"Mom!" I said sternly