Maithiúnas (Forgivness)

Anna

"This potion must work quite well." He chuckled and I noticed my head leaning against him and my sobs had ended.

"Feel free to have some," I said and sat up. 

He got up and poured his own glass then sat back down beside me.  "The taste isn't what would attract someone." He crinkled up his nose.

"Look past it and its qualities will present themselves," I said as I laid back on the floor not caring that I'm only in my shift.  It's nothing he hasn't seen before and he is to soon be my husband.  Either that or I'm much too relaxed to care any longer.

He sat quietly and drank his tea. 

I can't take vengeance on the man.  Our marriage ensures my life and as long as I am providing heirs he has no reason to do away with me.  I heard the villagers talking today and it seems I've been told the truth.  The enemy has sent men to win over the people of Cogadh and I suppose the same has happened in A Stór.  I've accepted my fate, the fate of a loveless marriage to a man that killed my husband.  I can only hope he never unleashes his evil upon me or my father. 

I will do this for A Stór and the fate of my family.  If only he was truly the man he chooses to let me see, maybe then I could find peace.  My body became heavier and heavier until I felt strong hands pull me up into strong arms then I'm gently placed into the softness of the bed.  I felt the bed dip then fingers move the hair from my face. 

"You are full of miracles aren't you, angel?" His voice whispered just as I felt a kiss to my cheek and the bed move before the covers are pulled over me.  My own slumber consumed me and without even as much as a dream, the sun graced my face.  It was the best night sleep I had in ages so I reminded myself to pick more heather if it can be found today. 

One of the laird's maids came to help me dress and soon I was in his grace's presence once again. 

"You must find more of those leaves.  I cannot remember such a nights sleep." He said after he helped me into the carriage. 

"It was one of the luxuries I have missed from home," I said.

Today was different, he sat next to me instead of across from me as we traveled the bumpy paths back toward his kingdom.  Breakfast was quiet but I can see something is weighing heavily on his mind. 

"Is something needed said?" I asked.

He drew in a deep breath.  "We have six days left until you'll become my wife."

"This I am aware," I said.

He looked at me with compassionate eyes.  "I can't take your innocence."

I tilted my head in confusion.

"The bedding ritual, I need your consent," he said.

"I'm am prepared to take vows so I'm left curious over your meaning," I said.

He ran his fingers through his hair.

"The vows are forced upon both of us but your virtue needs to be given freely." He looks concerned.

"It wouldn't be rape if that's what you fear," I said.

"But it also wouldn't be wanted." He said back.

I took a deep breath.  "I didn't think this conversation would be necessary for such a confident king."

"This doesn't mean I have no compassion." He said.

"All you can do is show me that compassion on our wedding night," I said and he laid his head back.

"It won't just be a physician and a priest like I presume you faced with Daniel.  It will be half my council and my own Uncle.  My wife's bare body should never be exposed to other men." He said.

"I'll stay in my shift."

He shook his head.  "They will want proof of what their own eyes can't see.  The shift is acceptable but its after the act that concerns me."

My heart raced.  "An examination?"

"Yes, this is why I am hesitant to take your innocence." He said.  "You deserve better than to be observed by old men."

"Do what you must, I'll soon bear your children and dignity will be lost at that moment." I slightly snapped at him.

He looked out the side then looked back at me.  "I promise to be gentle."

I nodded.  "I'll need that compassion," I said and he nodded before slowly he reached over and took my hand in his and gave me a brief smile before once again looking outside. 

What happened to the ruthless dark king?

"Although my consent is not necessary I will give it along with your promise of compassion," I said and he squeezed my hand. 

"I promise."

We stopped for a bite near a lake where a blanket was set out and the king and I took a seat.

"Why do those children call you Liam while others call you Taran?" I asked.

"My mother called me Liam while my father referred to me as Taran.  I was never to use Charles during my father's life." He said as he ate.

"What is your full name?"

He chuckled.  "How long do you have?"

Daniel had quite the long name too.

"I'll have to learn it eventually." I smiled.

"Charles Taran William Foster Emery McMurray George of Cogadh Lámhach and Cruálacht."

I was frozen in shock.  "All three lands?"

He nodded.  "My mother hailed from Lámhach and my grandmother, the former queen of Cogadh, from Cruálacht.  My parent's marriage was an attempt to join the three nations." He said.

"Your mother was from Lámhach?" I was shocked.  "Was she of royal lineage?"

He nodded.  "A cousin of King Alistair and daughter of his uncle."

"You..you killed your own?  Daniel was of your own blood?"

He wiped off his hands and took a drink of his port.  "Somewhere along the lines all royals descend from the same father." He said after he swallowed.

"I am aware we all come from the same God but Daniel was your actual blood." I said.

"Distant." He assured me.  "The same will be of Cruálacht if war comes." He said.

"You'll fight?" I asked.

"Don't worry lass, your husband will return to honor you." He grinned but he still won't look at me.