Leasmháthair Olc (Evil Stepmother)

Liam

The princess is becoming suspicious but apparently, it's not just her that is catching on to the council's plan.  One of my men informed me of talk of the Queen.  She was overheard talking about ending the princess tonight.  She sees the threat of me taking a royal bride so I ordered them to bring me my dagger before I walk the princess to her room.  I was informed this morning she has gained supporters for her son and I must stay on the defense, not just for me but also the princess.  The girl is not promised to me, not yet but the council is not going to budge.  I sent troops for my brother because having my enemy so far away leaves me vulnerable.  He could already be in negotiations with Cruálacht.

It is becoming more and more obvious my council is right about the princess.  I will negotiate exile for my stepmother in the morning in exchange for a royal marriage.  I have observed the reactions of the people as they approach and she answers simple questions with a gentle voice and kindness that reminds me of my mother.  She may as well be my best option to gain the hearts of my own people. 

She will be useful but that doesn't mean she was won me over or gained my trust.  She will use me to spare the lives of her people and I will use her to gain the trust of my people. 

I leaned over to her ear.  "I have council in the morning and a new dress should be delivered.  You will accompany me afterward to deliver provisions to the nearby village."

She turned her head and looked at me.  "Why?"

"Because you can help win their hearts.  I will not be coy with you, I need their support and you will help gain it for me." I said.

She nodded and didn't argue so maybe she is beginning to understand my situation or maybe she sees it as an opportunity for escape. 

I watched as my stepmother made her rounds, rubbing elbows with the very people I depend on for support.  She wants me to wager war against A Stór and complete the dirty work before she has me killed or she will order her son to pledge allegiance with my greatest enemy and take both our kingdoms.