Trua (Misery)

Anna

After he finished in the village we left for another grueling ride.  "None of that was because if Daniel," I said.

"Daniel was aware, just as I am aware of my own father's cruelty.  The difference is I visited the villages behind my fathers back and gave them what provisions I could sneak to them." He said.

"Just to gain their trust, your cold heart could never do such things out of pity," I said.

"My reasons do not matter, your highness.  The fact is Lámhach is weak because of it's forgotten villages.  Villages under my protection will be strong and loyal." He said.

"Yet, you aren't loyal to them, only their loyalty to you matters.  You left them vulnerable with just two men." I said.

"This is all I could spare but soon my army will grow.  They will train soldiers in those villages and I will control them just like the others." He said.

"Your own stone cold heart hides under a cloak of darkness, you have no godliness.  I've heard tales of your kingdom, your ruthlessness, and cruelty are known by everyone." I said.

"That would have been my father's reputation, mine only started four days ago." He retorted.

It started to rain and I felt him moving behind me.  "What are you doing?"

"Covering us with my plaid." He said.

"Keep your plaid off me.  I don't want that filthy thing touching me."

"Fine, you'll catch your death but that's your choice." He covered himself while my lack of proper clothing did nothing to protect me from the chill that set in through my bones as we kept riding until sunset.

He offered his kilt a few more times but he will never see me as weak.  I won't allow it. 

One last night in a filthy tent then another grueling day traveling through the cold rain and handing out provisions made me nearly ill by the time a dark castle came into view.  I held a blanket around me and the horses stopped as the men set eyes in the kingdom in front of me. 

The year is seventeen hundred eighty-nine and the castle shows its age.  "Your Kingdom is left to ruin," I said.

He leaned down to my ear.  "Changes are soon coming." He kicked the horse and his men followed as we raced to the gates that quickly opened to welcome home their new king.  What I saw was different from home. 

The women wore rags and the men were no better than swine.  I'm sure they smell no better and he once again told me things will be changing.  The king has mannerisms not found within his people, even many of the men were of a much better class but this is not what a kings court should portray. 

He jumped off the horse and was welcomed home by his people before offering me a hand but I snubbed him and climbed down on the opposite side. 

"Please welcome Princess Annalise from A Stór as the kings guest." He said.

"I am the princess of Lámhach, wife if Daniel." I corrected him but he leaned in with a smirk. 

"I doubt that to be true, "

He has no right to smirk of my husband's memory.  His murderer will pay for his actions.  I will not rest until this king and his filthy kingdom falls to my feet.  A hatred as deep and pure as mine brings out a fury this man cannot even begin to understand.  I'll soon have him under my spell and his life will be as miserable as my own. 

"Mrs Laught, please see the lady to her quarters and make sure she is assigned a maiden of your choosing.  Her comfort is of utmost importance and will be your responsibility." He said to a middle-aged short round lady wearing mere rags.

"She gave me a bow before leading me away from the crowd. 

"Well then, Let's see to it." She said.

I followed her inside the dingy castle where I do see many men and women cleaning and painting the castle walls.  It seems as if construction has already started on the several centuries-old structure. 

"This was Queen Mary's quarters prior to her demise.  It's one of the best available at the moment and the first ordered cleaned by the prin..I mean to say, King.  His own has always been spotless along with Queen Laurie but it seems the young king has ordered the castle to be brought back to life."

She opened the heavy double doors and led me inside after ordering another woman to fetch a Miss Haggerty.

"I'll have clean linens brought to you along with a hot bath poured.  Once Miss Haggerty arrives I will fetch you some clean and appropriate clothing." She said as I looked around my quarters.  I have a large space, much larger than my quarters at A Stór.  This includes double doors and stained glass windows covered in sheer tapestry and a bed with the same hanging from near to the ceiling. 

I thought my quarters would be nothing but cold stone as a prison cell but the dark wood and flicker from the fire in the large fireplace could easily fool me into settling in like a home, but that is not the case.  I am being held prisoner in this room, which is obvious by the two guards that stand just outside my doors.