Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Noah)

I felt a sliver of ice shoot through me as Luka slumped to his knees, covering his mouth and staring at the snow.

I didn't know what to say. All I knew was watching him sit there and let it sink in was killing him. I could see the pain etched into his face as he struggled to find words, but just kept opening and closing his mouth before covering it again. I did the only thing I could do and walked over, falling to my knees in front of him, putting my arms around him tightly.

"No, Luka. You didn't kill me." I whispered gently, squeezing him tightly against my chest. Luka still didn't seem to comprehend it as he stared at the snow over my shoulder, his whole body shaking.

"I killed you," He managed, "And I have no excuse for that... I just stood there and watched. I just--"

"Genghis Khan killed me," I corrected, stroking my hand up and down his back to calm him down as I felt his heart hammering against my chest, "Not you, Ruruka. You were hurt. And don't think I didn't see you crying before I died. I know you didn't want to watch."

"But I could've done something," Luka stuttered, pulling away from me, his hands on my chest as he stared at me, his eyes red-rimmed, but the tears not falling, "I can't die anymore. I'm a lich. We live for eternity. I should have--"

"Luka. Ruruka, stop," I ordered, taking Luka's hands in my face as his eyes flashed in momentary alarm before he grimaced, "You couldn't have done anything. But there's a reason the past is the past. This was almost a thousand years ago, maybe more. You've become a powerful sorcerer, just like you said you would. I've been reincarnated." Luka studied my face, grimacing as he reached out, timidly touching my hands before quickly backing away from me, scrambling through the snow and onto his feet.

"I can't do this." He managed, but he sounded more like he was trying to convince himself, which only made me frown.

"Ruruka--"

"Please stop calling me that!"

"No," I barked, making Luka blink and whirl around to stare at me, "You are my Ruruka. That is what I have and always will call you. No one else can call you Ruruka. Whoever possessed me, I will find them and I will kill them. They used your name. They used my body. Whoever possessed me saw what belonged to me and only me, then destroyed it in front of me while I was helpless to do nothing. That will not happen again. I swear to you, Ruruka, I will find the person who did this to us and I will kill them. When I do, we can start over again. We can be together for the rest of eternity."

Luka stared at me for the longest time, then cringed and looked away. He didn't say anything and he didn't need to. I came forward, brushing past him as I headed back to the house. His crunching footsteps followed close behind me as we approached the towering plantation house.

I paused at the bottom of the steps and so did Luka, who glanced at me for a split second, then looked away.

"I promise." I repeated, making him look up at me. I took his face in my hands and pulled him towards me, my lips melting against his. Luka's eyes widened for a moment and I felt his hands on my chest, but I also saw the struggle in the depths of his blue-green eyes. He didn't know whether to kiss me back or not and that was fine by me. He had always been a little hesitant.

I reached up, cupping his warm cheeks in my hands, parting my lips against his and letting my tongue sink into his mouth. I tasted every corner of his mouth, savoring it as I had no idea when the next time we would kiss. Wet slurping sounds mingled with Luka's panting hot breathes and my growls of lust as I backed Luka up into the banister of the stairs.