Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven (Noah)

This was so much harder than I thought.

I waited in the living room for Luka to get back so I could apologize for harping on him, then hopefully follow it up with another attempt to ask him out on a date at least. We could go anywhere he wanted. I had money from working at The Mockingbird. I could easily pay for us to even go to a nice restaurant if he wanted to.

You're desperate. A voice hissed in the back of my head, making me cringe. I reached up, brushing my fingers through my hair.

Yea, maybe I was too eager to please Luka, but he was my mate.

I loved him.

I know I did.

I've always loved him and I had no idea what happened a thousand years ago when I sentenced Luka to death, but one thing I was sure of was that I didn't want that to happen. Luka had been so sweet and child-like in all my memories. He was innocent and pure. He cared about other people and that was why he fought to protect them.

But he was different now.

He was bitter. It made my heart ache to think that I had been the one to cause this. My sweet Ruruka was just like any other adult now... At least, that's what it felt like. I still loved him, though. No matter what he turned into.

I glanced at the clock with a frown, resting my chin in my palm as the seconds ticked by.

Luka had left almost an hour and a half ago. Why was it taking so long? I started to feel antsy as something churned in the pit of my stomach. I had a bad feeling...

Maybe I should go pick him up.

No, he'd hate me forever.

But what if he was in trouble?

What sort of trouble could he possibly be in? It was a small southern town getting hit with snow for the first time in years, maybe even decades. It was only a light sprinkle, but to Southerners, it was a fucking blizzard out there and completely unsafe.

My eyes flickered and I bit my lower lip, sitting up straight and looking out the window at the snow as it fell to the ground below, creating a very thin, almost see-through layer over the dead leaves.

It wouldn't hurt to check on him.

He might be drunk, I thought with a confident nod as I rose to my feet and went to the key rack, plucking my car keys off the hook. I went out to my small car, started it up and blasted the heater as I backed out and went at a good thirty speed limit to avoid slipping on the gravel and ice. I turned out onto the main road, almost sliding off in the process.

Damn, it was icy out here.

Probably the frost from before melted, I figured as I turned my headlights on, watching them cast an eerie glow across the empty road. I drove slowly toward town, glancing on the sides of the road for deer. Those psychotic, suicidal freaks just thought it was some daring act to jump in front of a car and live to tell the tale.

Jokes on them; you don't live if you jump in front of a car.

I drove just further down the road, the town just in view when I spotted lights shining out onto the road from a ditch. I frowned, slowing down and peering over the edge. My eyes widened at the sight of an overturned SUV, the headlights shining out, but flickering every so often as they prepared to die.

I quickly pulled over, keeping my car on as I scrambled out of the car, almost falling out as I managed to catch my balance.

"Hello!" I called as I came to the edge of the road on the other side, peering down at the SUV. I frowned, studying the way the silver almost blended in with the now wintering forest. An owl hooted somewhere nearby before its heavy wings flapped shortly after. I pricked my way down the hill, almost sliding on the ice as I stood now a few feet from the SUV.