Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Luka)

And so I did.

The next day after I set the spell, I was walked out in front of a crowd of jeering soldiers and prisoners, some even throwing stones at me. I ignored them and kept my eyes locked on the man that sat on the throne high above the others in a palace decorated in gold. A palace that I had ordered to be made for us.

Us.

There was no more us.

There was only me.

I narrowed my eyes at Naosia as he sat there, his beautiful, muscular form adorned in golden silks as he nodded his head to the executioner, who came off the gallows to grab me by the elbow, forcing me up under the noose and on the rickety board that was ready to give way so I would die.

I stood there silently, hands tied behind my back with thin, tight wire. I stared up at Naosia as he stared back, his facial expression blank. The executioner slid the noose around my throat and tightened it, making me flinch for a second before he stepped back toward the lever, placing his hand on top.

"Bear witness," Naosia announced, his voice carrying over the crowd, "To the death of all those who betray me and stand against me. Bear witness to the death of he who called himself my friend. Luka Strykyrius! May you suffer in Hell for your act of treason!"

The crowd screamed with excitement that only died down when I smiled, feeling the corners of my lips lifting. Naosia blinked in surprise, but that was the last I saw of him as the executioner pulled the lever and the board under my bare feet gave way.

But of course, I wasn't getting a break yet.

The noose snapped taut as I dangled from the gallows. It didn't breath my neck like it did most. Instead, I hung there, squeezing my eyes shut in pain as my lungs clenched and my throat squelched. My heart began to beat wildly off the charts as my lungs struggled to seek air, but to no avail. My lips parted, but nothing came in. My vision darkened as I hung there, choking to death.

Then darkness.

A cold, empty darkness.

For a moment, horror struck me hard as I realized that no one had listened to my prayers. No one had listened to my screams.

And then there was light.

I woke up on the shore of some country I'd never seen before. Tall green trees surrounded me, all staring down at me as if to ask if I was all right. Birds chirped and fluttered overhead, doing tricks in the sunlight that burned down on top of me. I blinked a few times, then rolled over on my side.

It worked.

My spell worked.

I was... undead. I'd live to see Naosia die.

And after years of struggling with the new world that I'd arrived at, I managed to see him die. I managed to find Naosia as I road at the center of the army that I had once called my enemies, now my masters. The large horses led the army of many other horses and even the large men walking around me. Our armor clinked and jingled as we rode behind the man known as Genghis Khan and the Mongol army that he led storming across Asia, conquering Russian territories that I had once called home.

I rode in silence, ignoring the men around me who chuckled excitedly as we trampled through the village that surrounded Naosia's palace. I narrowed my eyes over the black veil covering the lower half of my face, scanning the once beautiful palace.

Now it was rundown, destroyed by battles upon battles and negligence.

Our horses pulled to a stop as our leader leapt off his horse, gesturing for men to surround the palace before he called forth those who were to be his bait. I slid off my horse, only grabbing my sword and sheathing it before I approached the man in his tall, round glory with several others, one of which was trembling.