Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Luka)

"They came in?" I asked in relief, reaching up to cup my forehead as I stood in Gavin's room.

Gavin nodded, reaching into the envelope and taking out the white bottle of perscription pills. I studied the label for a moment before looking up as Gavin handed me a glass of water.

"Take one capsule every night before you go to bed. At least an hour before you go to bed. Give it some time to kick in. And don't do too many things that require moving or heavy lifting for the first few months. It can give you a bit of dizziness within the first couple doses." He explained as I took the water with a polite nod, then popped the first capsule into my mouth.

I took a gulp of water, then handed it to Gavin, pausing. Gavin glanced at me for a moment, then nodded for me to go. I bowed lowly before departing from the room, sticking the bottle of pills into my sweatshirt pocket.

I headed down the stairs tiredly, pausing as I saw Trisha scrubbing around the television to keep it from getting dusty. I frowned, watching the sweat run down her face, her dark hair sticking to her cheeks from its loose ponytail. I knew she felt guilty for asking me to do all her chores and I wanted to help, but we'd both gotten in enough trouble already.

"Are you busy?" I felt a bolt of irritation shoot up my spine as I snapped my head to glare at Noah, who stood at the bottom of the stairs behind me. He wore his snug jeans and a low cut elbow-length t-shirt under a puffy winter vest. I looked away and started to head into the kitchen for some tea to settle my nerves, which wasn't going to be easy as I heard Noah follow me.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to The Mockingbird. It's my day off, but Cal, Rylan, Raven, and a couple others are still working today. They have really nice food and I noticed you skipped lunch and dinner. You're probably hungry."

"I was, until you showed up." I returned swiftly as I came to the kettle, putting it on after filling it with water. I waited for Noah to ditch me again so he could come up with another stupid plot, but when I looked up, he was still standing there with his hands in the pockets of his vest. The collar was pulled up a little, kind of hiding his mouth. His eyes were averted before he looked back at me.

"If you don't want to go to The Mockingbird, there's a shop that just opened up called Raindrops. It has things you can use to make spells and things. I know you like that stuff." He offered. I slammed the mug I had in my hand down on the counter, then snapped my head to stare at him, laughing out loud.

"Are you stupid, even after all these years? No. I won't go anywhere with you. I'm going to The Mockingbird by myself. In the meantime, why don't you mate with your own kind? You always said how you wished you were part of my world. Looks like you are now!" I exclaimed, then shut the stove off and smacked my shoulder in Noah's on my way out of the kitchen. I heard his footsteps thump after me, making me roll my eyes as I reached the key rack near the door, plucking the SUV keys off the hook and heading outside.

"It's supposed to snow again tonight." Noah said from behind me. I ignored him as I went to the SUV, throwing open the car door and climbing inside. I slammed it shut before Noah could speak, leaving him to stand there and look at me.

The expression on his face suddenly made my gut wrench. He was trying to smile, but it wasn't working. I could see the hurt in his eyes, the way his mouth pursed as if he were chewing on the inside of his cheeks.

No.

I'm not feeling sorry for him.

I don't feel sorry for people. Pity is reserved for people who deserve it. As of now, Noah should consider himself lucky that I don't run him over with the car. I backed up out of the driveway and headed down it, gripping the cold wheel in my hands tightly. I tried not to look in the rearview mirror, but my peripheral vision revealed Noah to be standing at the front of the driveway, watching me drive off.