Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Luka)

I concentrated hard, staring through the water that rained down on my head as I stood in the shower of my very own bathroom. I had my own bathroom and my own room that looked more like the living room back at home. It was nice, but the bed was too tempting. I decided to shower before heading downstairs to find something to occupy my time.

The Blood Rain territory spread very far and completely engulfed Moonstone and touched parts of Rosemary as well. No surprise, having listened to Kasper praise them the whole way here.

I shook my head, tilting it up toward the shower as the water sprinkled on my face, making me sigh as the shower box steamed up. I turned, resting my back against the wall as I ran my hands through my hair, peeking my eyes open past the water to stare at the wall.

Don't sleep.

Can't sleep.

Stay awake.

If you fuck up so much as once here, Luka, Kasper will be embarrassed and Gavin will be angry. Then what kind of butler would I be then? What kind of servant would I be then? I shook my head and shut the water off, stepping out and drying off. I ignored my reflection as I walked into the bedroom, holding the towel in front of me as I moved completely unabashed of my nakedness when I was alone.

I threw open the wardrobe where I'd put my uniforms. I reached in, taking one out and giving it a flick to clean it off before I changed. I buckled my pants up and buttoned up the white shirt before slipping the black blazer on, buttoning it. I slid the tie on before tucking it into the blazer, pausing to frown at my reflection in the mirror on the door of the wardrobe.

However, I wasn't looking at myself.

At least, not the way I wanted people to see me.

My eye sockets were empty, my real eyes having decayed long ago. My skeleton wasn't white or pure, but caked in dirt and blood. My hair was gone, with only little strands stuck to my skull. I cringed and shut the door quickly before turning around, taking a deep breath before I left my room, pulling my gloves on.

The house was relatively quiet now, surprisingly, as night had come around. A pack had gone out to hunt for food while visiting members were now asleep in their rooms. I moved silently down the stairs, listening for any signs of someone in the kitchen, but it seemed empty. I peeked inside and was relieved to find that the coffee pot was still plugged in.

I walked over, starting up another cup before I began to walk around the table at the center of the room to keep myself awake.

Can't sleep.

What am I supposed to do to keep myself awake? There was no one to order me around at night. The wolves, though they were, even kept their house rather clean and I couldn't impose on them like that. Should I just go outside?

The air was cold.

The cold would keep me awake, wouldn't it?

I nodded to myself matter of factly, bumping my fists together to keep myself moving as I paused to stare out the side door. It was dark outside and the window fogged up as I breathed on it. I looked away as the smell of hot coffee filled the air. I shut the machine off, getting another mug and filling it with coffee. I didn't even bother with sugar or cream, just gulped the whole thing down, my finger tips cooling it slightly.

I set the mug down, breathing hard and wiping my mouth with the back of my hand before I went to the door, stepping outside. I was met with a blast of bitter cold wind that I breathed in deeply, shutting the door behind me as I stepped outside. My cheeks and nose already burned from the cold, but it was enough to keep me awake, so I kept walking.