Chapter 36

Hi there :) 

I haven't edited this one, cos I got a little carried away reading other people's stories :P  lol, so please point out errors or anything that doesn't add up :) 

Anyways, thanx for all the reads, votes and awesome comments.  I love the feedback and the way you guys react to each new chapter. Two more to go, and it's an unfortunate end for my Forbidden Family :(  I'm already gonna miss them....So Vote and comment please so we can remember you too :D

Okay, enough of my sob story.  See below for the real one :)  Don't hate me too much....

Sofia:

‘He’s here.’  

Icy cold fear ran down her spine, but she pushed it away and tried for calm like Kai asked.  Then she fought through her exhaustion and concentrated on inching her way through the tightly guarded threads in his mind.  Dante’s chuckle filtered through the empty cave and a moment later, she felt the devil himself coming up behind her.  She knew Kai could feel him too, but he purposely avoided turning until the last moment.  Peeking out through her eyelashes, she could make out a thin blue film coating Dante as he crept closer.  Kai paused and raised his head just as Dante stopped walking.  Something in the air around her changed but at Kai’s quick warning, she remained as still as possible even though every muscle in her body screamed at her to bolt.  His glowing eyes were fixed to their target, unblinking.  And it frightened her when she searched through their link to feel him just as calm on the inside.  Whatever he had planned, he was certain of the outcome, but what scared her most was his fierce determination to bring Dante down at all costs.

“Oh hello there Kai.”  Dante greeted with a fake, surprised grin.

“Dante.’  Kai returned easily, still maintaining his guarded posture. 

“I’ve missed you.”  Dante smirked sarcastically.

“I’ll bet.”  Kai replied with a smirk of his own.

Dante raised a brow at his offhand answer.  “Hmm.  You’re all grown up.  Found your mate yet?”  He asked, his eyes flickering over to Sofia and then back to Kai with a silent suggestion.

Kai glanced at her briefly and swung his silvery aqua orbs to meet Dante’s.  “No.”  He made it clear he was lying and she could see the evil glint in Dante’s eyes through Kai’s mind.

‘You can start waking up now.’  His thought brushed her mind.   

“Liar.”  Dante taunted with a tsk.  “Nice choice, though.”  Dante poked the toe of his shoe against her. 

“Pretty and tough.”  He prodded harder.  Kai narrowed his eyes and let out a low growl.  Dante smiled widely.  “She took it almost as well as you did.  Pity you haven’t mated yet.  Or you wouldn’t be so calm about me doing this.”  And to prove his point, he yanked her upright, his fingers digging into her shoulder.  She hissed internally and then bit her tongue, feeling Kai’s anger and frustration at having to make her do this.  

Sofia opened her eyes.  She didn’t have to pretend to be afraid.  Just looking at him was enough to bring the last few days back to her in a flash, but Kai’s presence was quick to calm her. 

‘Easy love.  I’m here.

 She kept the fear etched on her face and looked between them.  “Kai?”  She feigned shock at seeing him there.  Struggling to keep her balance was not faked.  The essence Kai had given her was that potent, but her body still needed a few minutes to readjust to the energy after all it had lost.  She could feel her strength slowly build up, and Kai’s relief when he heard her think that was clear.