Chapter 23

Here you go....Another chapter...and oops, sorry it's so long :P  Oh well, the words wont stop swimming in my head...had to get em all out :D  Thank you once again, to all my readers, voters, and my very few commentors for getting this far :P Some feedback will be appreciated....I don't know if you guys are still enjoying the story or not :( Anyway, here goes...

Just to refresh....Silas is Valentina's mate....Reeses very young, very handsome dad :P lol

Silas:

‘That smell…It was much stronger than the whiff he’d caught before…’  Creeping along the corridor seemed like a good idea until he realized exactly what he was heading for.  He froze, tilting his head in the general direction of the ward.  He could clearly smell…a Guardian?  He pulled away from the wall and scribbled on his clipboard as he made his way further down, trying to look busy instead of  like a snoop.  Not stopping until he passed the door and reached the nurse’s station, he trained his ear for any sounds coming from within.  The door was slightly ajar and he picked up two distinct heartbeats inside.  One was standard for Crimson, the other, a dull monotone, that came from unconsciousness.  That was his patient in there but he hesitated, wondering what a Guardian would want with her.  The young woman had been brought in with a suspected head trauma at around five this morning and she had yet to wake up.  Even though she was still out of it, he could sense the uneasy vibrations that came from her brain waves, almost feel her fear…

As far as his perceptive talent went, he saw no evidence of an injury.  This woman had passed out from fright and her mind kept her locked in there, preventing her from further unease.  Still, standard procedure had him ordering a series of tests on the patient, a CT scan being one of them.  She was very pale when they wheeled her in, almost anemic, and her BP was low.  She could have easily passed out from either symptom and knocked herself out, but he’d already known that wasn’t the case.  Now, a Guardian involved in it had reinforced his idea that something else had happened.  Here at the hospital, he kept his human persona active every single day.  Even the few Crimson doctors who worked with him hadn’t known his secret.  There was no reason for anyone to doubt his professionalism, and when it came to his job, he was well aware of the respect the staff held for his skill, but as a normal human.  Unsure if he’d be recognized for what he really was by his superior though, he closed his baby blue eyes briefly and settled his features and pulse to nothing more than relaxed and casual.  He could do this, his wife may kill him for it if the Guardian didn’t, but he was going in there.  Taking a deep breath, he pushed himself to square his shoulders and drag his feet towards the room.     

Sofia:

Kai was relaxed and happy regardless of the problems that awaited them.  He thought of this place as home and she couldn’t help but smile, sending her pleasure through to him.  Medea was helping her in the kitchen and insisted on just turning all the ingredients into meals with magic.  She always enjoyed the small effort it took to prepare them instead, so she’d been finding excuses on every turn to dissuade her.  One moment they were laughing about the misuse of magic in the kitchen while putting together turkey sandwiches, and the next moment Medea looked at her oddly and sighed.

She moved the food to the table and cleaned out the counter before she hopped on top. “What’s up?” 

“How…did you know…?”  She stumbled over the words uncertainly, keeping her eyes on the sputtering coffee maker.