Chapter 12

Hey guys.  Please vote and comment after reading.  You know I love your comments ;) 

THIS chapter is dedicated to all yall loyal peeps :D  Thank you for the support.  You are AWESOME :D

Locke:

Thunderclouds rolled together in fury, dark and foreboding as lightening slashed through the sky in angry white streaks.  The first drops of rain hit hard and fast, turning the previously damp earth into a sodden mass of slush.  The Spirits of the Forest were not pleased, and today, neither was he as he raced through the trees trying to bring peace to his mind.  As soon word got in earlier that the Crimson Guardians had requested a meeting with them, he’d promptly shifted into his wolf form and taken off, avoiding contact with his people since.  Hugo, his best friend and fellow Guardian, wasn’t too pleased with his decision, but the thought of putting up with them for even a few minutes was too much for him to handle.   He skidded to a halt outside his rustic home and as he shook the excess water off his soggy gray fur, he scented company.  He resumed his human form once again and climbed in through the window.  Grabbing a change of clothes, he quickly dressed before confronting his friend who waited patiently under the shelter of the porch.

“I take it you have made it clear to the others that I won’t be attending their little gathering.”  He told Hugo as he came up behind him.

The burly man grunted; his leaf green eyes focused on the horizon.  The lake rippled like goose bumps not far from them, the sound of water on water overshadowing all other signs of life in the land surrounding them.  

“I have yet to decide if I’m going to allow you that privilege.”  Hugo said gruffly.  His thick arms were linked at the back, his stance relaxed, but his face was taut with tension.  

“Even after what happened the last time?”  He asked angrily.

“Especially after what happened the last time.”  Hugo replied calmly.  “Our people rely on us to protect them, to keep them grounded.  You ran off before I had a chance to finish what I had to say.  That was disappointing, more so because of the younger members who witnessed your departure.  We are to stand united on all fronts, remember that.”

”My apologies, old friend.  Tell me then.  What did I miss?”

“The Guardians were being evasive, but a call afterwards to the Witches revealed that their beast is amiss.”   Hugo turned in time to see his onyx eyes flash murderously. 

“They could be so foolish to let it loose?”  He grated through clenched teeth.  The wind picked up around them blowing wet leaves off the ground like a small tornado. 

“It has been arranged.  We meet on the night of the blood moon.”  He continued as though he didn’t just hear that outburst.  “Hoyt will be joining you and me just to keep appearances.  They want this under wraps, and the Witches have agreed that until we know more, the gathering should stand as a general discussion among all the Guardians.”  He told him quietly.

“That thing is not our problem.  Let them deal with it.”  His fingers curled around the smooth wooden rails, hard enough to leave a dent.  Seemed his friend had decided after all.

“They may or may not be requiring our help on this.  I’m not certain about that, but the ‘thing; as you call it could very well be the end of us.”

“I’m not afraid to take it on.”  His hair bristled as his wolf stirred at the challenge.

“It’s much more complicated than that, Locke.  Calm yourself.  We will not harm him.  Not unless he gives us a reason to.”