Chapter 17

Alright....to comment or not to comment...that is the question :P  Ignore me...I do :P  lol.  Okay then.  Since I was feeling a little generous, heres another quick upload for you.  Read, vote, comment...You know the drill.  *Note*-No editing, so mind the errors :) Thanx guys for making me smile with your encouraging words.  @time_lady @KiahErrol (YOU GET THE DEDICATION!!)  Xxx

Damien:

If Locke would just leave him be, dying would be so much easier.  Struggling to open his eyes, he failed miserably at the simple task.  He didn’t even have the strength to breathe, but somehow small puffs of air found their way into his exhausted lungs and out again, the slow thump in his chest telling him his lonely heart still fought against its better judgment for every beat.  He wished it wouldn’t.  That it would just stop.  Locke, the idiot, was calling someone to help.  Medea, if he heard correctly.  Her mother did this to him, so why would the daughter give a crap?

“Damien?  Can you hear me?”  Locke shook him lightly.  He groaned in response, unable to formulate any coherent words even though his brain was yelling at him to leave him alone.

The man sighed worriedly.  “She’s going to get Nik.”  He patted him awkwardly on the thigh and let out a sigh.

Nik?  He didn’t want him seeing him like this.  He groaned again, this time inwardly.  What good would it do to have him stand by and watch his life slowly leave his body?  His only regret was that he would not get to apologize to his sons for being the coward that he became.  He’d chosen this…this life...this existence…to hide…he deserved every bit of what he was going through.  He’d cursed his offspring, cursed him to a life much like his own, and he hadn’t known that he was out there until he’d spoken to Nik. 

It hadn’t mattered to him, the one heir rule, because he already had his heir.  He was already a proud father, so when they passed a law among them not to procreate and extend the forbidden line, he was fine with it.  What with those Witches casting spells so frequently, and their bloody double standards, he accepted the law and left.  Little did he know that even after being deemed dangerous by himself; that he would still end up spawning another…a Forbidden like he was.  All he knew was that his companion was sick for a long time.  Neither of them knew that she was pregnant.  She wasn’t his mate, just a good woman who he found consolation with.  When he left to find help, he began to suffer from some sort of illness as well.  First her, then him…he thought that the poison in his body had infected her and was finally going to claim him too.  But it didn’t.  He was wrong on both counts as he started craving more essence…His body weakened no matter how much he fed, but he hadn’t realized then, that he needed to feed from a certain source only.  That his body no longer sought essence the way it used to and unconsciously finding places to live in which supplied his life force, he’d never noticed the change, never felt the need…The reason he had found his peace there, was because the land she lived in held his weakness…cinnabar…Then child was born while he was away, and he retuned to find the village barren, his companion and everything else vanished, as if they never were...And then fate had led him here, among the Shifters, where he would meet his son again.

Another presence on the room made him uncomfortable. 

“Come, they’re meeting us at my place.  Can you carry him?”

A female voice…Medea?  He felt two arms come up under him and then pull back.

“They?”  Locke paused from his task to ask.

“Yes, now hurry.  You’ll see them in a little while.”  She whispered loudly.

“Are you sure they’ll not say anything about Damien?  I mean, with the beast loose and the Guardians on alert…”