Chapter 33

Alrighty then :)  Here we go with 33.  Thank you people for all your votes and comments, and undying support.  I appreciate it all, even the silent reads :D  Okay, for those waiting for the massive destruction scene, that comes up next chapter.  This is the prelude to it :P ...just to make sure that all my guys are accounted for and ready for this ;)  All assumptions are welcome.  I'd love to know what's running through your minds for a change, hehe.  PS*  Not edited, so please feel free to point out errors :D

Okay, that's enough of my yammering....Go read, vote, comment, suggest, assume....Knock me on the head with a blunt object :D  Whatever you decide, I'm happy with it :D  Peace out for now peeps.  Next chapter is warrrrrrr!!! Happy reading Xxx 

Locke:

Kai was pacing agitatedly across the floor.  His footsteps were silent, but the action was painful to watch.  They were all worried about him, but Kai was too wound up to notice.  Earlier, when they brought the sisters in from the forest to recover, Kai had almost lost his patience when he realized that he had to wait for answers.  And when they’d tactfully kept the conversation away from the sore point, he’d snapped and told them to stop walking on eggshells around him.  None of them could help it.  They’d all come to Damien’s place after the task was complete because the girls were too tired to even speak.  That was twenty minutes ago.  Even Selene was here now; sitting beside him like the Alpha female she was, regal and proud beside her mate even amongst those who’d witnessed her humiliation all those years ago.  Yesinia had acknowledged her with a guilty nod of her head, but kept away from her after that.  Leo and Maier were sitting at one corner of the room looking resigned.  Valentina had finally made them understand that since they’d left Sofia behind, she’d grown into a new life.  Kai was her mate now, and she had friends who would walk the end of the earth for her.  So they sat quietly, their hurtful gazes following the conversations, but neither of them made any move to jump in and contribute.   

As soon as Nik said they were ready to talk, Kai was the first to question them.

 “Did you find her?  Is she alright?”

Medea’s answer was expected, but to hear her actually say it seemed to make things horribly clear.  Sofia was alive, but in really bad shape.  To see a broken man’s heart crumble before you was not something you would ever want to witness.  Nik ran his hand comfortingly across her back, knowing she was feeling bad to be the one to break the news. 

Kai’s voice was torn between anger and helplessness.  “Why didn’t you get her out of there?  She won’t heal with the shackles on.”

“It’s not that simple.”  Olesia told him calmly.  “Or we would have brought her with us.”  She gestured to her sister.  “Medea almost got us killed trying to split from us.  For a time during the spell we were fused as one, and the binding was supposed to hold us together until we returned.  But then she saw Sofia and refused to leave without offering her help.”

“What kind of help?”  Ulrica asked inquisitively.

“We undid the wards on the shackles before we left.  We didn’t use the normal spell, but what we did should take effect soon.  She will begin to heal, but we couldn’t remove it all at once or Dante would find out.”

Kai’s eyes jumped to Medea’s with relief and gratitude as he released a slow breath.

Nik sighed thankfully, kissed Medea’s forehead and tightened his arms around her.  She leaned into him, not caring what the others made of them.