Chapter 22

Sorry for the delay in getting this one up :P  Thanx to all who have read, voted and commented so far, and to all the guys that have gotten this far.  You are all still awesome! Yes you are!! :D  Okay, no editing here, so mind the errors....Enjoy,  Don't forget to drop me some feedback ;)  Xxx

Sofia:

She and Medea couldn’t even have a decent conversation what with the guys causing such a ruckus all around the woods until the early hours of the morning.  After yet another crash, she gave up asking Kai if he was okay. 

His laughing answer was ‘Against these two?  Hell yeah!’  Although she was glad they were miles from civilization with all the tree felling and dust rising off the ground, she was also worried for the safety of Damien and Locke against Kai.  There was no telling what he could do to them after what happened earlier.

Through their bond, she could feel the pulsating force of the energy he now contained, and it was almost frightening in its intensity, even though he was keeping it in check.  At least they had found something to do to pass the time until Nik checked in. 

They came in for a few minutes after Medea had heard from him, but it was only to find that he wouldn’t be getting a break from the Guardians anytime soon.  Caleb had decided that they discuss their findings before they split up in groups to scour the city.  He also told Medea that he would see her next at the meeting.  There was no way that the others were prepared to compromise their numbers before then, so leaving wasn’t an option. The poor Witch looked frazzled and edgy, so she had given her a room and forced her to get some rest.  She doubted that Medea had any though, judging by the tossing and grumbling coming in through the walls.  Tired after the long, stressful day, she opted to wait for Kai in bed instead.  She must have dozed, because the sky was starting to lighten when the front door swished open and she awoke to the sound of Damien’s voice.  He was trying to be quiet, but she could hear him clearly as he insisted on taking the couch, muttering grumpily about dog stench to Locke.  He’d refused to shift back from his Wolf form, and chose instead to hog the rug in the centre of the room.  After a hushed warning from Kai, they settled down quietly as he padded up the stairs.

She waited patiently, falling into a half slumber again as Kai showered first and then slipped into bed pulling her against him and inhaling her scent deeply.  His warm breath blew across her neck as he exhaled and she snuggled closer to him, loving the feel of his warm, solid body against hers.

‘Morning love.’  His mind caressed hers, knowing she was awake.

She couldn’t help but smile in contentment.  “Morning.”  Sighing blissfully as he cuddled with her, she slowly drifted back to sleep. 

Nik:

“That bad huh?”  He asked, watching Dante pour himself a drink.

“Worse.”  Caleb answered with a growl.  “Dante show him the pictures.”  

Nik’s hand flew up in time to catch the manila envelope that Dante tossed him.

“Did you take these?”  He asked Dante.  He shook his head no, pointing a thumb over his shoulder at Caleb before strolling to his seat.

Ulrica was staring outside the window with a frown. 

“We took that off the police records.”  She answered Nik half heartedly.  No doubt her mind was already trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together.  Dante crossed his legs at the ankles and sat back, sipping his drink with a scowl as Yesinia leaned in to take a look.

Nik couldn’t hide his shock at the first one.  The state the bodies were found in was nothing, if not horrific.  He could almost imagine the fear and pain that they’d been through seconds before their demise, and he fought hard to mask his disgust at the heartless beings that’d done this.