Forbidden Lineage

Please read, vote and comment. The lifespan of this story depends on you :)

A/N: The Crimson Race depicted here is an original idea, as is the story line, including all the characters involved in Forbidden Lineage©. These come from the imagination of the author and should NOT be used without consent. All Rights Reserved by the Author of this story. Anyone planning on infringing this material please remember that it is a criminal offense.

*PS* Please report any copyright violations immediately.

FORBIDDEN LINEAGE ©

1

The sound of voices faded as the door clicked, locking itself from the outside. Sofia swung around in surprise as the lights dimmed automatically, cursing herself for not paying attention when she should have. She was never the one to lose concentration. Not even for a moment, especially with her enhanced senses. But the curiosity of finding out about the test subject her uncle Darrius had been talking about had her second guessing everything she had come to believe. Excitement bubbled through her despite her folly, as the eerie blue haze drew her attention back towards the inner room. That 'thing' in the room was the reason she was now locked in here. Well, not locked, really. She could unhinge the door with her hands alone, but that would just draw attention to her being different. And then she'd be stuck in here like the 'thing'.

He'd only called on her for help today because he needed investors. Apparently, she was pretty enough to sway them. If only he knew that they were just like her...

The six expensively dressed men were anything but ordinary. She could see easily through the guarded expressions they wore, but Darrius was oblivious. Just excited.

She'd been listening in on his conversations when she visited him over the last year and needless to say, her imagination had begun to run wild with possibilities of what he could be talking about.

Could it be that the legends were true?

She was so enthralled with silently willing the 'thing' he kept so securely behind bars to come out from behind the curtain that she had completely forgotten to follow behind the rest as they exited. Darrius was so caught up in making an impression that he would probably not realize she wasn't with him until much later.

'It' remained still as a statue. She shifted slowly as her eyes readjusted to the light from the eerie blue sparks of energy that zapped up and down along the metal bars running around a huge glass box. Her eyesight was better than good, even in the dark. The soft hum of electric beams around the reinforced steel cage was the only sound in the sealed off bulletproof room. Nearly ceiling high, the cage took up the whole room leaving just enough space for it to wrap around the four clear glass walls without quite touching. If it wasn't for the lack of privacy the inside could easily be mistaken for a bedroom. One single low bed sat on the far end with a see through curtain roughly pulled around it. There was a desk and chair, a television set, and a squishy beige couch sitting on a well worn rug. A chest of drawers stood forlornly on one end of the 'room' with a small overflowing bookcase beside it. The only thing really closed off from prying eyes was the single cubicle on the far left, which she assumed was the bathroom. Still, the top was left open for wandering cameras. There were more of them placed along the wall leaving nothing to the imagination. Sofia suppressed her anger at the subject's misfortune as it slowly raised its head, and then she found a pair of softly glowing orbs focused on her. If it wasn't for the eyes, anyone would swear it was a human.

According to the legend, this was supposed to be a beast, and what sat before her was no such thing...Were the stories false?

The lone inmate of the hi-tech prison cell cocked his head to the side and stared quietly at her.