Chapter 12

He put me in a small room and I think it was a closet because there was a whole bunch of coats and stuff in it. I felt my way around the smallish room until I found a sort of seat, somewhere I could comfortably sit. It was completely silent in the room – so silent I was starting to think I was the only one in there – until I heard a quiet and very male sigh.

I didn’t really want to speak but I was sure that if neither of us spoke each minute would drag on like an hour. I would feel like I was trapped in prison with no one to talk to and nothing to do. So, as a result of not wanting to feel bored I decided I should start speaking.

“So...” I started, not even sure where to start exactly. “Er...” I trailed off again, feeling uncomfortable talking to this complete stranger. “So,” I tried to start again, but I couldn’t bring myself to finish – or even start – anything. “Ugh,” I accidentally said out loud. God I must really sound like a retard to this guy.

The not so indiscreet amused clear of his throat confirmed that thought.

Oh yeah that’s right, just laugh,” I said with irritation.

He chuckled in response. “I’m sorry Sammie. It’s just that you’re so adorable when you don’t know what to do and you get all awkward,” an all too sexy, masculine and familiar voice said.

I almost choked on the confined air around me. “C-Carter?” I stuttered in shock. “How come you’re in here?” I asked dumbly.

“Same as you; when the bottle had stopped it was pointing at me.”

You were playing spin the bottle?” I asked in disbelief.

“Well yeah, but only because I was forced to.”

“By who?” I asked, and I could practically hear him shrug in response.

“By a lot of people, but that’s beside the point. How in the world did you end up in here?” he asked with curiosity.

I also shrugged. “Wrong place at the wrong time.”

“Seriously?” he asked with amusement.

“Yeah, but I’ve always been a ‘wrong place in the wrong time’ kind of person.”

“What does that mean?” he wondered, and I could picture a cute frown on his face.

“Well take the first time we ever met as an example. I just happened to be trudging down the steps in my pyjamas with my teddy in my hands to go eat my breakfast when you and your dad came through the door. Honestly, I could not have timed that more badly,” I grimaced.

“You still remember that?” he asked, and I could hear the small smile in his voice.

“Yes. Of course I remember. I felt so embarrassed when my mom pointed out that my hair was a complete mess even though I was only eight. But you know I hated it when my mom was irritated with me.” I sighed at some of the memories that rushed back to me.

“I know; sometimes you would get so worried when we did something bad that you would refuse to let go of me.”

“Could you blame me? My mom can get scary when she’s mad.”

“Yeah that’s true,” he agreed. And then it fell silent. It was a weird silence, but one I recognised as a thoughtful silence. “You know, you haven’t been this friendly once since I’ve come back,” he decided to say.

“Yeah well, you’re the one who stole my private stuff,” I shot back defensively.

“No, I mean even before I took them. I mean I’ve already started reading them but I’m only to the part where-”