Chapter 6

I started blushing with humiliation and I started backing away.

"No Samantha you look absolutely amazing," Mrs. Brown finally said.

"Yeah," my mom agreed. "I never knew you had such a nice figure."

"I don't have a nice figure," I frowned. "I've just lost like a whole dress size or two."

"Yes you've lost weight honey, but it suits you. You look taller and more slender, your legs look longer and you look more feminine. I like this dress; it makes you look very mature," my mom tried to assure.

"Really? You like it?"

"Yeah," she confirmed proudly, but I noted something else in her expression.

"Mom, you sound surprised," I pointed out.

"Yeah, I would never have expected you to pick something like this," she admitted.

"Yeah, I am really conserved aren't I?" I laughed. "That's probably why I prefer the other one. I'm wearing this now but I don't think I'd ever be able to wear it in a more public place," I told her.

"But you look so pretty," Cassandra pouted.

I just laughed at her. "We'll see the next dress." I turned and went to the dressing room again. I changed into the dress I preferred and looked in the mirror, liking this one so much more because my legs weren't showing so much like in the last dress.

I walked out and saw the worker. "Sorry for accusing you of being a liar," I grimaced.

"It's okay," she smiled. "You were just self conscious," she said with understanding.

"So, do you prefer this one or the last?" I asked.

She studied me for a moment. "I like the other one more but I prefer how you hold yourself in this one," she said thoughtfully.

I was confused by her comment. "What do you mean?"

"It's just that you look more comfortable and confident in this dress. Also, I think it suits your dark and mysterious personality more."

"My dark and mysterious personality?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, now go out and show your mom," she encouraged, pushing me gently forward.

I started walking out but was shortly stopped. "Wait," the worker called from behind me.

"Yes?"

"Take your hair out of it's bun," she advised.

"Are you sure?" I hesitated.

"I think it'll help to convince your mom," she winked. She stepped forward and took my hair out, fixing it to her liking.

"Your hair is beautiful," she whispered.

"My hair is curly," I said dryly.

"Your hair is half wavy, half curly, and a really nice dark brown colour." I looked into her eyes to see what she was truly thinking and saw nothing but honesty in her eyes.

"Okay, I'll go see what they think." I walked out to where they were sitting and blushed when I saw everyone standing there. I started to back away so I could go back into the changing rooms and hide, but someone stopped me from behind and pushed me forward again.

"This is the second dress," I said nervously, avoiding everyones gazes by looking away from them.

"Samantha, this one looks just as good," Mrs. Brown said joyfully.

"Er, thanks," I choked out, my mouth suddenly going dry as I felt eyes on me.

"So mom, what do you think?" I wondered.