Chapter 21

We had been distracted by my phone ringing, and it had abruptly jolted me out of my trance. Carter must have seen the horror on my face because he tried to grab for me when I ran out of the car. I ran as quickly as I could to my house, muttering “Shit” the whole time.

I went straight to my room, texting my mom that I had arrived. I didn’t want to speak to anyone, knowing I was too flustered and panicked for them not to realize something was up. I took a shower and changed into some shorts and a top before crawling into bed.

My lips still felt bruised from the kiss and despite the shower I still felt tingly all over. I still felt his lips on mine when I closed my eyes and the burning sensation on my skin where his hands had been. This wasn’t good and ignoring all those amazing feelings that Carter had made me feel, I felt frustrated and angry at myself. I wasn’t sure what to do now, things would be so awkward.

I took my phone and dialed Emily’s number. It was ringing for such a long time that I didn’t think she’d pick up.

“Hello?” she asked, sounding a little out of breath before she let out a giggle.

“Emily?” I asked just to make sure it was her.

“Sam, what’s up?” she asked.

“Emily, I did something really stupid,” I admitted.

“What did you do?” she asked, but then she seemed distracted as she told someone to shut up.

“Are you busy?” I wondered kind of hopefully, already regretting having ever called her.

“What?” she giggled some more, then, “Hey, no, stop!” she gasped before giggling again.

It didn’t take a genius to work out that she was with someone.

“Er, okay, I’m going to hang up now. Bye,” I said quickly, hanging up before she could persuade me not to.

I sighed, looking into the darkness of my room.

She hadn’t called back right away so I didn’t think she would, but after a few minutes I heard my cell ring. Groaning, I reached out and saw it was her. I was going to just leave it, but then decided against it as I thought about what she’d do to me in person for rejecting her call.

“Okay, what happened?” she asked with a serious tone before I could even speak.

“Weren’t you just with someone?” I asked slowly, not feeling sure.

“Yes, it was Brandon, but he got dragged away by a very pissed Carter just now.”

I gulped. Oh no. He was angry? I hurt his feelings; I must have after running away like that. I would be hurt too if someone kissed me and then ran away in the opposite direction. I could feel my stomach knotting up with guilt.

“Hello, Samantha!” Emily called over the line. “Are you still alive?!”

“Yes I am, stop shouting like a mad woman. What were you doing with Brandon by the way? Didn’t you say you weren’t going to let him in your pants?”

“Yes, and that still stands. We were just making out. Now don’t try to change the subject. Why did you call me?”

“You were going to sleep with him, weren’t you?” I asked, steering away from the subject again.

“Who cares? Now let’s get back to you. What’s this stupid thing you did that you so desperately needed to tell me about?”

“I kissed Carter,” I blurted before I could stop myself. I could hear her gasp on the other end.