Chapter 26

Derek was definitely cracking - I was watching with thorough joy as his jaw worked. He almost lost it twice tonight. I was being an unappreciative brat as he tried everything in his arsenal to woo me.

Unfortunately for him I wasn't at all wooed. I just found the fact that he had hired out an entire two-Michelin-star restaurant obnoxious. I came from a rich family - money didn't buy me.

I sat back in my chair with my feet up on the chair next to me as I threw the appetizers into my mouth. In all honesty I was tired after my shift (it was one in the morning and I was out on a dinner date with him) and all I wanted to do was sleep, but the look of horror and disgust and anger on his face was hilarious and made staying awake worth it.

"So Derek, what did you do today?" I asked him.

His eyes turned to look at me. He opened his mouth to answer but his eyes flicked back to where they had been before where I kept tapping my foot impatiently on the back of the chair.

"Will you stop doing that?" he snapped.

I wanted to laugh, but instead I wore an extremely offended expression as I said, "Sorry, it's just a force of habit when I'm tired. I didn't mean to anger you."

He forced a smile. "It's fine, I guess I'm just tired too."

'Tired my butt' was what I wanted to say. Instead I said nonchalantly, "I guess a date at one in the morning isn't a wise idea."

He let his jaw loose and tried to increase the sincerity in his expression as he leaned forward.

"No, I think it's perfect," he said, holding my hand.

I felt sick, but I let him hold it.

"It's nice and quiet and no way of being disturbed.

"Right, apart from the fact that my dad is in his car right now waiting for two o'clock to roll around so he can end this and he can sleep," I reminded him.

He let go of my hand. "Why do you always have to kill the mood?" he asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because it's one in the morning?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, you're always doing it - always pushing away."

I looked at him, then looked away as I gave a shrug. "Maybe it's because I no longer have any trust in guys. I've been hurt so many times that now I don't know..." I trailed off. This topic of conversation was intentional; I had been waiting for him to bring it up so that I could 'open up'. He would then think that I trusted him.

The look of satisfaction that briefly touched his eyes made me angry. I still didn't get his problem. The fact that my past misery made him happy showed that he was just a psychopath.

"Why, what happened?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Oh you know..."

He stayed silent, waiting for me to elaborate. I popped another appetizer into my mouth and he understood that was all I was going to tell him so he said, "No, I don't."

I sighed. "You really want to know?"

He gave a small encouraging smile and I just wanted to slap it off his face. "Of course I do."

I refrained myself from grimacing as I said, "Fine, I'll tell you. But be prepared for a long story."
He grabbed a hold of my hand again and I pulled mine back. "It all started in Freshman year. I was asked out by some guy - his name was Chad. I used to think he was so cute and sweet. He was blonde, had blue eyes and he was lanky. I don't remember the other names but I remember his because he took many of my firsts."