Chapter 9

Hey, I am so sorry that this is so late! I would have updated sooner but I've fallen so ill and I didn't have the strength to do anything much and with work and everything I didn't find the time either.

That's what sucks when you work; you can't just take the day off when you're sick. Anyway, I hope you enjoy! I'll try and get up the next chapter on Friday (tomorrow) like I usually do ;D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I stared at the clock on my wall, watching the stick count the seconds. I didn't want to go to the charity ball tonight but I knew I had to, that there was no way I could talk myself out of it.

I was ready now though and Hannah and Emily were waiting for me downstairs. I had missed work for this and that really pissed me off.

"Are you guys ready?" my mom asked once everyone was standing in the reception room. Everyone nodded, even my dad.

"Okay Luke, you'll be escorting Alyssa and I tonight. Samantha, what about you, who's your escort?" my mom asked.

"I thought dad would be my escort."

"Oh God, please don't tell me you don't have someone!"

"I don't have someone?" I said meekly, knowing she was going to throw a fit.

"Argh, Samantha! You're seventeen, you know very well that at the start of sixteen, girls always have to have a guy her age escorting her. Now what are people going to say when you turn up on your own."

"I'll just turn up with Emily and Hannah as my escorts then," I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Actually, on the invitations that were sent out to our families it said that we had to get someone to escort us," Hannah informed.

I gave her a shocked and irritated look. "When the hell - no, why the hell didn't you tell me this before?!"

"We thought you knew."

I let out a huff and ran my fingers through my hair, sure that I probably messed it up but not caring. "So I guess I'll go solo then."

"No, you will do no such thing," my mom gasped.

"Why not, if the media want to say anything about that they can go ahead."

"No," she repeated firmly.

"Then what do you suggest?" I demanded.

She stayed silent for a moment, bringing me a feeling of triumph. Well, a feeling of triumph until she opened her mouth to give me her suggestion. "Why don't you get Carter to do it?" She sounded cheery. I frowned.

"No. Besides, I'm sure he's already got someone.'

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking you too."

"Yeah, so that I could be one of two girls on his arms and look like a complete hoar. I don't think so. I'd make our family look even worse than if I went alone."

"Sammie's right," my dad intervened, causing me to smile.

"See, plus, it would look good for our family. You know, that you're raising independent and confident women who don't depend on men to get through life."

"Yes, but in order to come across as independent and confident you're going to have to exude that you are in the way that you walk, talk and approach people," she argued.

"Fine, that won't be too hard."

She gave me a look. "Samantha, as much as I hate to admit it because you're my daughter, you are the most anti-social person I know. You couldn't even bring yourself to talk to any of those other kids when we went to the Brown's residence," she pointed out.