4-Moving On

Going back to the compound, with defeat on our mind, no one spoke a word. We all didn't have anything to say, losing was never an option for us and it just happened. Rocket landed the ship back on Earth, as he and Nebula took off, going back into space, promising to check in when they could. Carol never came back with us, she mentioned she had other planets she needed to protect. I went to find Pepper and Tony, looking at my face they both knew we had lost again. Pepper informed me that they were going to leave the next morning. I promised I would come see her and Tony once he was better. I left the room and headed back to mine, needing to change out of my suit.

I enter to Steve already changed out of his, packing it away in the back of our now shared closet. I change into just a t-shirt and sweat pants, neither one of us saying a word. We just share a look of sadness, knowing that those we lost were never going to come back. It didn't take me long to break down, and Steve had to catch me as I fell. He carried me to our bed, holding me close to him as I continued to cry. I don't know how long I cry for until darkness takes over and I fall asleep.

A few weeks after what had happened with Thanos we knew we needed to move on, we needed to get our lives back together, to create some sort of normal. Steve suggested he start a support group for anyone who just needs somewhere to go and talk. I told him that was a great idea, what people needed most were others going through the same ordeal. I told him I got thinking about teaching self-defense, now that the world is in ruins, people need to know how to protect themselves.

I told him it wouldn't just be for regular civilians but anyone who is still alive that has powers like me or even him. He agreed that I was the best candidate for that, and we decided leaving Natasha in charge of the compound was the right idea. We all began to get into our own routines, wanting to create some sort of new normal for us.

It was a month later that Pepper called me, she wanted me to come to the lakehouse, to be her maid of honour. Her and Tony were going to have a small wedding, even though they didn't have everyone they wanted there. I agreed to come out, and I let Steve know where I was going. He told me to tell them that he was happy for them ,knowing that Tony still couldn't talk to him right now. I quickly changed into the only dress I could find, the one I wore a few years ago to the party at the tower.

Driving up to the lakehouse I took a deep breath, as I see Happy, James, Tony and Pepper standing down by the water. I park the car, and I get out, walking over to them, a smile placed on my face. I give Pepper a hug, "You look beautiful" I say to her, as we pull away I notice a glow about her and realize the true reason they are getting married. "Congrats" I whisper to her.

"You do too" she replies.
"Tony, handsome as ever" I say as I hug him too.
"Green, I'm glad you could be here" he says.
"I'm glad you thought of me for this, and he says he's happy for you" I add about Steve, Tony just looks away at Happy.

"Let's get this show on the road" Tony says to him. We all then stand where Happy tells us to, and he begins the ceremony. Once Happy announces Tony and Pepper married, James, Happy and I all cheer for them.

"Green, you want to stick around for a little?" Tony asks me.
"I can stay just for a little" I agree and we all walk back up to the lake house. I stay at the house for a bit talking mostly with Pepper, catching up on what was going on in our lives. She tells me about her being pregnant and how part of her is scared.

"Pepper this is good news, we need some happiness right now, and that baby is going to make Tony so happy, he's finally getting what he once told me he wanted to do. This house, have a baby, I'm glad he's getting that" I tell her.
"Thanks Cassie, what about you and Steve, think you two will start a family?" she asks me.

I look at her and thinks this over, "We never really talked about it. I mean I don't even know if we can, with the serum running through him, and with the abilities I have I'm not sure having a kid is even possible" I tell her.
"I think if you two could, you would be the best parents ever" she tells me.
"Thanks Pepper" I say as I check my phone noticing a text from Steve, letting me know to meet him outback of the compound when I come back.