Chapter 08

Chapter 08

It was her third day since she came into the village. So far, the villagers who have been stricken with the unknown disease were recuperating and doing well. Chisa's parents can already be seen sitting on their porch, enjoying a cup of tea. It was also that long since Sasuke had been staying in her cabin.

Not exactly staying as in staying though. More like he was around her this entire 3 days, just eyeing and observing her silently from a few distances. Every time she turned her head towards him, he was gone. Not that she minds he was around, but she was getting a bit nervous from his relentless observance and there's always that prickled sensation on the nape of her neck whenever he's around. She was just getting uncomfortable. She was trying her best to shove the thought that Uchiha Sasuke was so near her and that she had entirely caught his attention. It would be another story if it was 6 or 8 years back. She would be so thrilled and excited like a fangirl who had finally got her idol's attention. This time, she was thrilled alright, but a bit different at the same time. Nervous, shocked, and anxious all rolled into one. It was like, he was following her.

Her suspicions were answered on the fourth day when she walked a path going to the higher ground of the mountain. The pinkette had asked old Minoru about the water system of the village and where they get their water source. The old village chief told her that there was a waterfall in the mountain that goes streaming all the way down to a small lake then broke into a stream and into the village's waterways. So she decided she will start analyzing the water from there. If her hypothesis was right, the bacterium came from the water and was spreading through it by drinking.

She was trailing the road and looking at the map the chief had given her. Sasuke was walking a good 10 meters behind her. Now, this ticked her off. Why on earth would he be following her? So she stopped her trail and makes a 180 degree turn to face him. As usual, he was having a no-emotion plastered on his beautiful face. He didn't even flinch nor showed any surprise when she faced him.

"Why are you following me?" she barked at him, showing her irritation.

Sasuke looked at her for a few seconds then he continued to walk towards her. Sakura just stood there, the map already crumpled on her left hand, while her right was balled into a fist. The bastard will really have it this day, she thought. But he just passed her.

"I'm not following you," he said as he continues to walk and passed her.

Sakura's gazed followed him as he trailed down the path she's going to take. She sighed. It was the first words that came into her mouth after ignoring him these past four days. She wants to punch herself for that. It looks like a headache was on its way to her temple. She needs to get to the fall as soon as possible. She just hopes that he will not be there where she's going. She looked up again and he was gone. Maybe he leaped into the branches and made his way to wherever he was going. She could not feel his chakra nor his presence too. Again, she sighed and continued the hike.

After a few turns and jumping from branches to branches, she finally reached her destination. As Sakura walked up the small trail overlooking the waterfall, the spray fell on her awestruck face. She could hear the waterfall way before she could see it. It sounded like the roar of a train. As she swung around a large boulder, she spy the falls. Crispy, white lengths of water sheet out over the edge of the rocks above. They fall in white sheets to the ground. At the bottom the water spring up around the rocks in a froth. Bubbling and roaring, uninterrupted, the splashing waters create a steady pattern of endless rhythm. Like a wall trying to block out the sounds of the world behind the waterfall, it roars louder and louder. The waterfall paints a scene so perfectly.