Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Death and destruction, pain and suffering, sadness and rage all assaulted Susan's senses as she tried to come to terms with what she was seeing. It was too hard though; there was just too much going on for her to make any sense of it all. It was like she was trying to see a million different things all at once, and each one of them she could only peer at through a tiny pinprick, as if she was blindfolded but still had that one tiny hole to see through.

Everything was so fragmented and distorted that it was nearly impossible to see what was truly transpiring, and to be honest Susan didn't even know if any of what she was seeing was actually related. There was a brutal storm that cracked and boomed, some kind of giant animal tearing down a forest, a museum burning in a horrible fire that was unnatural, and an abandoned factory that looked very familiar being brutally torn apart by some savage monster that should never have existed, but one that was needed nonetheless. All of this and more flashed by Susan in the span of a heartbeat, and she felt completely lost by all of it. However, as she saw the factory and recognized that horrible and dirty place from her recent memories, she finally realized that she wasn't just seeing one single event; but rather a whole bunch of them in order of when they happened.

Or rather when some happened, and others that had yet to happen, but would happen eventually.

This was her gift, the ability to see prophecy. However, Susan would always see it as nothing more than a curse; one that she had been born into. One that she could never get rid of, no matter how much she wanted to. No, she had a job to do, and that's exactly what Susan was going to do right now.

Now that she knew that she was seeing things in the order that they had happened, Susan stopped focusing on the factory and let the torrent of information and images flow past her once more. It was like being hit by a tsunami, the wave bulldozing everything in its path and crushing it under its massive weight. It was nearly impossible to deal with, but Susan grit her teeth and did what she had been training to do.

She saw a pyramid against the backdrop of a brilliant night sky, the moon high above the massive structure. It was all wrong though. The moon was no longer white, but instead a brilliant crimson red that provided very little light on what was going on at the base of the pyramid. And it was there that Susan saw something so horrifying and terrible that she nearly screamed in fear: a large and feral looking black cat hissing and yowling, with one of its paws covered in rich red blood. No, it wasn't just covered in blood; it was dripping with fresh blood and there was a triumphant expression in those horrible green feline eyes that Susan was forced to stare into.

The image was gone just as quick as it had come, and now Susan suddenly found herself standing on top of the large hill where her new home sat in Greece. The sky was a deep purple and thick and ominous black clouds gathered over the small town below her, tainting everything she saw with death. Suddenly three large and terrifying faces appeared over the city as an explosion of white and black tore through the small buildings and destroyed everything for miles.

Susan recognized two of the faces instantly, as she had dreamt of them before. Before she ever became the Oracle of Delphi, or had even believed that Gods and monsters existed. One of the faces she had only seen once, but it had been enough to scare her with those thin red lips and large tusks that made it look more like an animal than anything else. This face belonged to that old and terrifying man that she had dreamed of before the events at the factory back in Chicago. The face of the man who had some connection to the woman who Susan's brother had killed.

The second face was one that she had seen a lot, and one she hoped she never had to see ever again. It was the lion headed face of the terrible beast that lived deep within Jason, with those sky blue eyes hiding just beneath the surface. It was horrifying, and seeing a massive image of that head sitting over top of the town she was living in, yelling soundlessly at the other horrible face had Susan panicking. Even though she knew it wasn't real, that it was just a vision inside her mind did nothing to temper the fear coursing through her body, and she was breathing heavily and trembling.