Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A sense of impending excitement was boiling Jason's blood as he stared across the quiet and vacant lot at the other Slayer. The large swarm of bees he seemed to control with only his mind teemed around him, buzzing noisily against the quiet backdrop. The two of them stood facing one another, both their bodies tensed and ready for the inevitable first blow, but Jason's was angled slightly as he remembered he wasn't the only one there; he once more tried to hide Amy behind his larger frame.

“Why are you here?” Amy asked and tried to peek out from behind him, but Jason wasn't having any of that. She may have been able to stand against a member of her own Order, but Jason knew she stood no chance against this man. He would not let her get hurt again; not by this Slayer or by himself.

“Amy, back up,” Jason muttered under his breath and shifted his body to block her once more, “there's no talking to these people, remember? Just stay away.”

“No!” the girl suddenly growled and Jason, against his better judgement, glanced back towards her and found that she had shifted into a fighting position, balling her hands into tiny little fists. “What did you promise me earlier? You said you wouldn't do anything rash or cause a scene! Well that's exactly what you're about to do! You don't need to fight. Let's just get out of here.”

“That's not gonna happen, love,” the other Slayer now spoke and pointed behind them. Turning around, both Jason and Amy found another massive swarm of bees had blocked their only exit, creating a writhing and buzzing wall that they wouldn't be able to get through without getting stung a couple thousand times. “I've been waiting for this moment since I first heard about what happened to you in Greece. I'm not gonna let you get away so easily, brother.”

Without warning, the Slayer leapt at Jason and Amelia. His form flashed for a brief second and then he seemed to disappear from sight, only to reappear right in front of Jason in the very next instant as if he had teleported. Shocked by what had just happened, Jason only had time to reach back and push Amy away with his strength before he found a large fist smash into the side of his face and was thrown off his feet, as Amy landed on the ground several feet away.

As Jason hung in the air for the briefest of moments, like gravity had forgotten about him, his attacker suddenly disappeared once more and now reappeared behind him. Once more a fist smashed into Jason's body and this time he was thrown forward, landing in the sand a second later as pain exploded in his brain and his lungs pushed all the air out of them in an explosive gasp. Miraculously a third attack never came, and Jason was able to push himself back to his feet and look around at where the Slayer had gone. He found him standing a few feet away, between him and Amelia with a slightly sad smile on his face as he regarded Jason, his sunglasses unmoved.

“You alright there, mate?” the Slayer asked casually, pulling his sunglasses down his nose just a bit so his eyes could be seen. “Need to take a breather? Or maybe a warmup?”

Jason growled now, feeling his power erupt though his body as his anger began to skyrocket. He knew what this man was doing; he was trying to antagonize him. And Jason was going to let him. His muscles tensed and his power flowed unimpeded as he worked himself into a frenzy. How dare this man touch him like that! How dare he think he was even on the same level as Jason was! He was going to regret ever being born, and Jason was going to enjoy every minute of it!