Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Amelia Lewis walked through the ordinary office halls with a purpose, her green plaid skirt bouncing lightly on her legs. Normal looking office workers sat in tiny little cubicles as phones rang nearly nonstop as she passed without notice. Things had sure gotten lively around her lately, but after what had happened in Athens it was only to be expected. Not to mention that something had been brought back from that ancient land that had everyone on edge as well.

Even Amelia was having trouble coming to terms with what had happened, and she had seen it with her own eyes. She wasn't sure anything could ever erase that horror from her mind, and even two weeks later she still dreamt of it. Who in the world would have thought that could possibly happen? The odds had to be astronomical, if not right out impossible. There was just so much information and speculation to sift through that Amelia wondered if anyone would ever be able to make heads or tails of it.

She wasn't even supposed to have gone on that trip. But at the last minute, a few days before the permission slips had to be handed in, her organization had received a call from their mirror Order in Greece. The Olive Tree Committee had no only okayed the travel of a foreign agent in their country but also encouraged it, saying that it was a good chance for the newer group to learn more about their more ancient counterparts. They even paid her fees, set her up with a guide, and there was even plans to have a formal sit down to discuss a cooperative agreement. Naturally Amelia wasn't allowed to go to this meeting as she was only an apprentice priestess in her own group. But still, to be allowed to tread on some of the most divine sites in Europe with no restrictions was like a dream came true.

It had come at a price though. The meeting she had been called to during the school day was proof that things were pretty dire; not only in Greece but North America as well. Even though the building she was in looked ordinary, there was absolutely nothing normal about it and Amelia had never once been allowed inside. Not even the day she was appointed as an apprentice priestess. Yet there she was now, barely seventeen and still a high-school student.

She knew the reason for her sudden summons though; she was the only eye witness of the horrific events in Greece from her Order. They needed what she held in her head and even the numerous reports she had written were not enough to slake their insatiable curiosity. And why should it? Only two weeks ago a major turning point in the history of mankind had happened and everyone was in panic mode just trying to find out what had really happened.

Amelia walked down a quiet and brightly lit hallway that was vacant of anyone else. The hallway was long and the walls painted an off-white with no doorways or entrances anywhere but at the very end. This was on the uppermost floor of the thirty story building simply named Eagle Place that sat in the heart of city of Chicago, Illinois. Just behind the large wooden double doors at the end of the hall sat five of the highest ranking members of the Order of the Golden Eagle, the government funded organization that dealt with everything and anything magical or divine in nature.

As Amelia neared her destination she found that the doors opened on their own, allowing her to enter the large conference room on the other side. A long black conference desk stood in the middle of the room with enough seats to comfortably accommodate thirty people. Large flat screen televisions lined the walls and the image of a large golden eagle with its wings spread and an olive branch clasped in its talons revolved. Sitting at the far end of the table were five individuals, all of them dressed in expensive looking suits with designer jewelry or watches.