Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Jason stared out the window of his classroom on the second floor, admiring the warm sun and the look of summer settling upon the school grounds. Students all around him had their heads down and their hands dashed across pieces of test paper, some confidently and others with more hesitation. It was the final exam for their classes, and once their allotted time was up their summer vacation would finally begin; something that everyone was looking forward to. However, Jason was not one of those people. Instead he dreaded the moment their teacher collected their tests and dismissed them. Hence why Jason's test paper was currently empty of everything, including his name.

There was just no way for him to get excited for the end of the school year like he always did. Normally on the last day of school he would be the happiest and most hyper one of the bunch, already planning what games he was going to play and which ones he wanted to buy to fill in the voids. But things were different this year. He was different.

He supposed having the immortal souls of two powerful Gods locked in their body would do that to people; but still, why him? Why was he the one who looked at the clock and realized that it wasn't ticking down to the end of the school day for him, but rather it ticked towards the moment he would no longer be protected. Less than ten hours were left before that crazy Slayer woman would come after him, and he knew she wouldn't just take her time. He expected her to come for him the moment she was allowed to, which meant at the stroke of midnight he would be fighting for his life.

It wasn't just him either; Amelia was also on the chopping block with him and it was all because of him. He had no idea how she had initially gotten into this kind of world, but he knew he had made it worse for her. If he had never gone to Greece, or never even been born for that matter, then maybe Amelia would currently be more worried about how well she was going to do on the exam and not have to worry about fighting for her life along side him later that night.

Thinking of Amelia, Jason turned his head from the window and picked her out of the class of students. She had her back to him at the front of the class and her shoulders sagged a little as she worked on the paper in front of her, and Jason wondered if she was actually taking the test. He didn't see how she could with such a large threat looming over their heads, but then again she was pretty weird like that. She had become even weirder over the last little while as well and Jason really wondered if she was doing alright. So much had happened between them, yet none of it had been explained.

He still had no idea what had caused Amelia to suddenly fall in love with him for a short time there, but he was sure he had a pretty good idea. Somehow a God must be involved, and this seemed to become even more the case when she suddenly snapped out of it three days ago and went back to normal. Well, as normal as a person could be when they realized that they had been kissing a guy they had claimed to hate. Things were awkward between them, but sadly they still had to keep up the facade of being a couple and couldn't afford to stay away from one another.

Jason himself had actually gone through something that he couldn't explain, other than to say that a God was somehow involved. The night that Amelia had sneaked into his room he had run away from her, something that proved to be a very bad idea when a man on the street tried to mug him and he lost control of himself. He had nearly killed that man, and even though he hadn't been in control he had still watched from behind his eyes and felt responsible for it all. Yet, the moment before he could actually finish the man off, he had been stopped. Actually, he hadn't just been stopped; he had been utterly defeated in a matter of seconds, and all it had taken was a single word.