Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

For one long and numb moment, Jason stared at the large hole in the wall that he had just created. Just on the other side was the body of Isabel, the Slayer he had killed in the heat of the moment. Thankfully her figure was shrouded in shadow, and Jason wasn't able to see what he had really done to that woman; he feared that if he could see her body, he would become violently ill and end up throwing up everywhere. Not that it really mattered; he was beyond caring what he looked like or how much he made a fool of himself.

Jason tried to tear his eyes away from the hole, but found that his body was refusing to move on his command. He stood still, a million different emotions coursing through his mind as he tried to make sense of everything that had happened. Most of it was a blur, but the images and sense of anger he gathered from that blur was overpowering. He remembered his one singular thought was that he wanted to kill Isabel in a terrible, sadistic way. He wanted her to feel pain like she had never felt before. He wanted to eviscerate her.

But he hadn't. Somehow, through the fog that clouded his mind and the blood lust that boiled in his body, Jason had stopped himself from tearing Isabel apart in a fit of rage. Even he wasn't sure how he had managed to take control of himself in that moment, only that he had. It had felt like he had reached deep down inside his soul and grabbed hold of the rage that caused him to lash out, and he had tamed it. Well maybe tame was too large of a word; it was more like he had simply realized that the anger was only a part of him, and as such he should be able to control it. And that's exactly what he had done.

Or, at least that was what he had intended to do. Despite his better judgement, he had been about to let Isabel live. He was going to just let her walk out of there and hoped that was the end of it; but that sadistic and spiteful woman took the choice right out of his hands. She was the one that attacked him when his back was turned. She was the one who aimed to kill him even though he had given her an escape. She was the one who decided her life was less important to her than killing him, and she paid for that choice.

Now, Jason could have just deflected the flame arrow out of the air and been done with it. Hell, he probably should have. He had enough power in his body still for it to be easy. But that deep and dark anger in him flared up for the briefest of moments and decided that she was not worth saving. She didn't deserve to live anymore. So he killed her, and the weight of that decision weighed on him heavily in the moments that followed.

Never in his life had Jason ever thought that there would come a time where he would kill another living person. It just wasn't something he had ever thought about. He didn't even like killing spiders that fell into the bathtub! He never wanted to hurt someone, but he had been left with no choice. This moment would haunt him for the rest of his life, and he was sure he would see Isabel's dying moments in his dreams until his own death came.

Standing there, lost in his own thoughts and oblivious to what was going on around him, Jason's knee's buckled and he fell to the ground with a grunt. He couldn't even blink, let alone pick himself back up. He was tired both mentally and physically, his body now ached as his power and adrenaline left his blood, and he felt sick to his stomach. He wasn't even aware that Amelia was slowly approaching him from behind, until she gently touched him on the shoulder and he managed to look back.

The sometimes cold girls face was covered in sweat and little dots of splattered blood painted her pale cheeks. Her eyes were wide in shock and she simply looked at him for a while, as if she wasn't sure which side of Jason she was in front of in that moment. He honestly couldn't blame her either. After what she had just seen, he had probably just confirmed every one of her fears about him.