Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Amelia sat in the front seat of her car that was parked a block away from Jason's house, the engine off and her mind wandering. It was early morning and she wasn't supposed to pick him up for another half an hour, but she couldn't bring herself just to sit at home like she had been doing lately. Not after that savage display at least.

Jason had been extremely close to losing it and going on a rampage, and she knew it. She had seen it in his eyes; he looked angry and dangerous. That was a deadly mix when you were dealing with someone who had more power than all of the United States Government in a single fist. It had scared her beyond words and she feared another outbreak like that sometime soon. Jason's self control was amazing, but it couldn't last much longer.

There was only one person to blame for all of this, and that was Katharyn. Before she had come his outbursts had been easily controlled and not very dangerous at all. Since she had arrived though they had been getting worse, and Amelia believed it was all because of that immortal girls desire to have him bring out his stronger emotions. It had been her goading and her beating of Jason that made him lose control.

After watching him nearly tear Katharyn apart, Amelia had called Samantha and demanded that she pull her from Jason's training, only to find that she wasn't answering her phone. That woman seemed to have a sixth sense about things so maybe she knew that Amelia was going to  call and just refused to answer. If that was the case then she could assume that things would remain as they were now, and that didn't make her feel very good at all.

She'd be lying if she said she didn't think about telling the man who had cornered her a few days ago about what was going on; and who would blame her? Things were getting out of hand and she was beginning to lose faith in this mission and her role in it. Her pride still got in the way though. That wasn't something she would be able to get over very easily either.

She had joined the organization for one reason and one reason only; revenge. Revenge for what she had been subjected to when she was just a child and make sure no one else had to go through something like that ever again. And now she had the perfect weapon to see her revenge through to the end. Jason had already gotten on the bad side of one Slayer and with any luck he would get rid of her for good. One less Slayer was a good start in her books.

Or so she thought. The more she tried to think of Jason as a weapon, the more she began to hate herself. Until the events in Athens had turned Jason into a monster, he had been a good and innocent boy. His sister played cruel tricks on him and alienated him from most of the school, but he never once tried to get back at her; at least that she knew. He had been quiet, a little spacey, and too innocent. Now he was the complete opposite. Or he would be soon.

He was struggling with something Amelia could never hope to understand. Within his body was one of the strongest powers a mortal could ever hope to achieve. With that power came a great price though. The loss of his sanity. It would happen, and when it did he would be no better than the rest of the Slayers. He would take what he wanted, do what he felt like, and answer to no one. It was a multi-billion dollar effort just to keep what the Slayers did from the public.

Sighing, Amelia looked out her side window and watched the early morning activity in the suburbs around her. People came out of their homes in their sleepwear and picked up their morning paper from the dewy wet grass, some with cups of coffee in their hands and others oblivious to the fact that they might have just stepped in dog crap. Amelia found she couldn't even chuckle at this and she sighed once more.

As she watched the older gentleman try to scrape the crap off the bottom of his slipper with the newspaper, she wondered which Jason she would end up seeing today. Would it be the normal idiot one she actually didn't mind being around, or the moody and volatile version she was terrified off? She hoped it was the first one, but she knew her luck probably wasn't that good.