Chapter 2: Attacks

Cora's POV:

When I woke up the next day, I fully intended on staying in bed the whole day but my stomach had other plans. I slowly got out of bed as my stomach growled once more.

As I reached the stairs, I waited to hear if my dad was still home but I couldn't hear anything so I went to the kitchen.

When I got there I saw my mom cooking breakfast and she smiled when she saw me.

"Hi sweetie! Did you sleep okay? Your father left early this morning to start work. Would you like some pancakes?"

"I would love some. Thanks mom" I said as I took the plate stacked with chocolate chip pancakes from her hands.

She finished cleaning up the dishes and then said she needed to work on planning the dance tonight. Which, of course, I had completely forgotten about.

I went back up to my room and decided to quick take a shower. Afterwards my phone buzzed.

Ryder:
Hey how are you? Have you talked to your dad?

Cora:
No, I think he's avoiding me.

Ryder:
Yeah he had his secretary give me my tasks for today.  I can't wait for tonight though.

Cora:
Yeah I'm nervous about being out in public as a couple.

Ryder:
It will be fine. Pick you up at 8.
—————————————————————————
As I put the finishing touches of makeup on me, I checked again that I had curled all of my hair.  Then I headed to my closet where my mom has put my dress for tonight.  I put it on and decided to pair it with simple nude heels and put on a silver necklace with matching earrings.

Cora's dress^—————————————————————————We were an hour into this dance and everyone kept looking at Ryder and I with judgy eyes

Cora's dress^
—————————————————————————
We were an hour into this dance and everyone kept looking at Ryder and I with judgy eyes. I was getting so tired of being here.

Ryder all of a sudden looked worried.

"Your dad just mind linked me. There has been an attack on the south border. The people patrolling have been seriously injured. I have to go and please take my car and go home" he said as he gave me his keys and rushed out of the hall.

I quickly drove home and locked the doors when I got there. My mom was already there and looked scared.  We sat in the living room together trying to comfort each other.

Half an hour later my father unlocked the door and came in looking mad.

"It was the Black Rose Pack! That little mut thinks he can attack the biggest and best pack and get away with it!" My father was fuming and mom tried to help him plan what to do.

This was a shock to the whole pack. The Black Rose Pack is a small pack like 2 hours away. They haven't ever made a threat to us before. But I have heard that the Alpha, Alpha Beau, is ruthless and trying to build up his pack now that he's the Alpha since his father died. No one knows how he died though, the whole pack was very quiet about it.  And Alpha Beau has been adding new members to his pack, mainly rogues who are tired of living as outcasts.  And I guess he has built up quite the pack if he's attacking us.

My dad started yelling again, saying how one of the patrolmen died of his injuries. Then Ryder came through the door and hugged me but then looked at my father with worry.

"Spit it out, Ryder."

"There's been another attack. This time on the north eastern border.  One of the woman who was patrolling is dead but the others are in the hospital."

"I'm sick of this child playing games! I'm going out there to see what he wants."  My mom tried to plead with him to stay but he said he wasn't scared and didn't want anyone else getting hurt. There was no arguing with him.

He came back an hour later saying how we are going to war with the Black Rose Pack tomorrow.

I guess the meeting didn't go so well.
—————————————————————————