Chapter 1: Dinner

^ Adelaide Kane- Cora
Cora's POV

As I lay awake in my bed not being to sleep, I could only think about one thing: dinner tomorrow night. I had anxiety about it since Ryder and I had decided to tell my father that we're dating.

The tricky part is that my father, George, is the Alpha and Ryder is his beta. Yeah, let that just sink in.

You see, we are part of the Midnight Pack, the best pack in the country. We value honesty, strength, and valor. And my father has worked extremely hard to build this pack up from where my grandfather left, which was destroyed by his greed and compliance with vampires.

So my father heavily looks for loyalty in others and he will see me dating his beta as an act of betrayal on both of our parts.

My mother, Lauren, will also be greatly against this because her and my dad met when she was in high school and they knew they were mates as soon as they saw each other and she wants the same for me. So me saying I'm not waiting to meet my mate to date will not end well.

However, the one good thing about this dinner is that my brother, Luke, will be there. He's really kind and funny so I'm sure he'll lighten the mood, hopefully enough so Ryder and I aren't killed on the spot.
—————————————————————————
The next day, my classes were a blur as I had only got like 2 hours of sleep the night before. My best friend, Natalie, tried to cheer me up and convince me everything would go well tonight but I knew better.

Later that day, I quickly curled my hair and put on simple makeup and over-analyzed what I was going to wear. I finally decided on a black, knee length dress with wedges.  And then I heard my phone buzz on my dresser.

Ryder:
Hey babe I'm almost there and you're family still thinks this is just us hanging out as friends?

Me:
Yeah, I figured we would try and break the news slowly.

"Cora, dinners ready!" My mom calles from downstairs.

I quickly sprayed some perfume on and headed downstairs just as Ryder pulled into the driveway.

"Hey honey, you look extra beautiful" my mother said suspiciously.

"Thanks mom. Just thought I would try to look semi nice for dinner" I said while nervously laughing.

Ryder knocked and my mom greeted him and my dad shook his hand and started talking about pack patrols of the boundary.

Once we ate dinner and my mom came in with the dessert, Ryder and I worked up the courage.

"So guys, Ryder and I have something to tell you two" I  said as I nervously glanced between my parents. "We've been dating for a month now and would really like it if you would support our relationship. Mom, I know you wanted me to wait for my mate but since I'm in my senior year of high school, I don't think it's coming anytime soon, if at all. And Dad, I know this probably hurts since he's your beta but we didn't plan for it to happen and we weren't trying to go behind your back. We were just nervous for what you would say."

My mom just stared at us for what felt like forever and then started handing out pieces of brownies as if nothing happened.

My dad looked at us and said, "Cora, it's one thing for you to disrespect yourself by not waiting for your mate but to disrespect your family including myself is outrageous."

"Sir, please try to understand that we didn't mean it that way. We love each other", Ryder tried to plead with my father.

"Ryder, I think it's best if you just go" my mom said coldly.

He looked at me and I nodded my head, telling him to go. It would be better if my dad had a chance to cool down.

"I just don't understand how you could do this! You're the Alphas's daughter! How do you think this will look to the pack? We value honesty and loyalty and you're dating my beta!"

"Please dad, I didn't mean to hurt you or this family but we love each other."

"Just go to your room while your mother and talk about this."

I quickly got up and started going up the stairs as my brother followed. He tried to comfort me once we were upstairs but I told him I just needed space. As soon as he left, I started bawling my eyes out. I kept crying until I eventually fell asleep.
—————————————————————————

Paige Turco is Cora's mom- Lauren

JR Bourne is Cora's dad- George

Steve Talley is Cora's brother- Luke

Toby Regbo- Ryder