Chapter Forty-Two

“Babe?” She doesn’t use her words to answer. All I hear is muffled sobs.

“Aubrey? Answer me please, what’s wrong you’re scaring me”

“I-I” She doesn’t finish.

“Please babe, I need to help. I want to help. Is everything okay? Please.” I am begging her now. I want to help her but I can’t unless I know what’s wrong. She lets out a long sigh and I can hear her trying to catch her breath enough to explain to me what’s going on.

“It’s Morgan and Kayla.” She finally says. I finally breathe. I thought something had happened to her. Not that her best friends is any better.

“What? What happened to them baby.” I continue to coax her so she knows that I am here to listen.

“They-they got into an accident. Some idiot was drunk at three in the afternoon and crashed right into them.” She sobs out.

“Are they alright?” I ask not really wanting to know the answer.

“Kayla is alright because she was in the driver’s side. Morgan is in the hospital and she is in serious critical condition.” She continues to cry. “I cannot lose her Luke. I can’t”

“Babe, it’s okay everything is going to be fine. Do you want me to come home?” I ask her.

“No, you can’t and I won’t let you. You need to stay there, you have shows you can’t cancel them.”

“I could come to you and come back”

“No Luke, I will be really pissed off if you come here. I want to see you and hug you but you can’t okay?”

“Alright.”

“Can we try and talk about something else?” She asks me.

“Sure babe whatever you want.”

“Why’d you call? Is everything okay with you?”  I decide that telling her the events that had taken place tonight can be saved for another day. Let this whole accident thing blow over and then I can tell her.

“Yeah everything is fine” Lie. “ I just wanted to call and say goodnight before I went to bed.”

“Okay! Well did you have a fun night out tonight?” She asks and I can basically hear her trying to smile.

“Yeah it was alright.” She begins sobbing again.

“Hey, hey Aubrey everything is going to be okay.”

“I know I’m just worried. I hope they find the guy.”

“They will babe okay? I really want to come home and see you.”