The Trial

There would be a trial for Loki's crimes.

The Gatekeeper predicted that Odin would awaken from his sleep within the end of the week, on a day that the Midgardians referred to as Saturday. On that day, Loki would be brought into the throne room and given his sentence.

Until then, Thor had given him his own sentence of being under house arrest until Odin woke. He was not to leave his quarters. He would be guarded at all times. No magic could be used by him or anyone else in the rooms. His children were allowed to visit at any time, but Loki could not go visit them.

He hadn't done anything new, of course. Where would he have had the time? That said, he had broken out of jail twice. Once with the aid of his small children. He had escaped his life-in-prison sentence once more, and now that he was back in custody he would have a new trial.

It was entirely unfair, Hela thought. How could they do this! Her father had not done anything, he was a changed man. He was a good man now. Couldn't they just leave him alone?

If Loki was sentenced back to prison, Hela would most likely be sent back to Midgard. As for her brothers, they would go back to their normal lives in the castle again. Without their sister or their father.

The unusual family sat with one another in Loki's private dining room. Loki sat at the head of the table, Hela opposite of him. The boys sat on either side of the table, between father and daughter. Fenrir was curled up under Hela's feet. Even Sleipnir was there, standing in the room.

The table was quiet as they ate. It was the night before the trial, and everyone was a little on edge. Hela glanced up and looked at Loki. His eyes were on his dinner, his eyebrows raised in a way that was as if he didn't notice or didn't care of the significance of this night. As if this was just any other night.

Hela glanced at Vali, noticing that he was staring at her. He hadn't eaten much, more or less picked at what was on his plate. He stared at her with increasing worry as the seconds ticked by. Hela nodded.

"Daddy?" she asked suddenly, her eyes falling onto Loki.

Loki's eyes flickered up to her's and raised an eyebrow, his head slightly ducked. "Hela?" His lips tugged up into a small grin as he addressed her. Hela cleared her throat.

"What if Grandfather decides to put you back in jail?"

Loki's smile faded slowly. A blank look crossed his face and he began to eat again. "Then you will be put back into the care of your past caretakers, all of you."

Hela frowned. "But, we don't want to go back to that. Daddy, we don't want you to be put back in jail. You-"

"Hela, that isn't up to you or me. Or any of you. That is up to the Allfather." He wouldn't look her in the eye now.

Hela's face scrunched up in annoyance. "That isn't fair! Daddy, you can't just go back! We need you here with us, we-"

"Enough, Hela!"

Everyone at the table jumped at Loki's sudden outburst. Fenrir dropped his ears piteously. Sleipnir ducked his head. Hela had been stunned into silence as her father's head had snapped up to stare at her. Loki began to realize his mistake and closed his eyes. "Listen to me, all of you. Whether or not I go back to prison is not up to any of us. That is the Allfather's decision. But it doesn't matter. Don't you see? Whether I am sentenced to prison or not, I am still your father. You are still my children. I will never cease loving any of you, and I never want you to cease loving one another. No matter where any of us are, know that we are still and always will be a family. Remember that. All right?"

Hela pursed her lips and looked at her twin brothers. Nari's eyebrows were knitted together in worry, and Vali glared at the table. Hela sighed. "Yes, Father. We understand," she whispered.