The Dagger

Hela was sitting in the library when she heard footsteps coming her way. The palace's library was huge, filled with millions of books and scrolls. Hela was sitting in the middle of it, but she wasn't sure where the end was. It seemed to stretch on forever.

She was reading a Norse fairy tale book when she saw two heads of white-blond hair coming toward her. She smiled lightly as Nari and Vali appeared behind one of the giant book piles. The two wore near the same thing, and Hela knew why. They loved confusing people. 

"There you are. We've been hunting for you for hours," Nari said as the two walked over. Hela laughed.

"Through the castle?" she asked, tilting her head.

"No, just in this library." Vali casually sat on one side of her and Nari on the other. "Sif said we would find you here," he added as the two sat. Hela set the book on the table without closing it and looked between her brothers.

Looking at the two was like seeing a portrait of the same person twice. They had the same white-blonde hair that was was pushed to the side. They both were beginning to need a haircut, but neither of them seemed to mind. They both had dark skin and eyes to match it, which made them seem even darker. Teir faces were flawless and they were both tall, lanky boys.

"So why the search party?" she asked, now turning her attention back to the book. She had been on Asgard for two days now, and still wasn't sure when she would get to go back to Earth. It was a soft subject with her uncle. He wasn't around much to ask, anyway. Hela didn't know where he went to everyday.

Vali thought for a moment. "We want your help with something," he said slowly. He sounded like he was choosing his words carefully.

Hela's eyebrows furrowed and she looked up from her book. "With that?" she asked. Vali and Nari shared a look and then turned back to her.

"It's complicated," Nari said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"We'll explain outside, when there aren't as many wandering eyes and ears," Vali added, glancing at a few Asgardians at the next table. Hela looked at them too and then nodded. She stood and brushed off the royal blue dress she wore. The boys stood with her and they all began the long walk to the door. Hela sighed.

She wished she would have stayed near the doors now.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

"All right, we're alone, now will you two please tell me what's going on?" Hela skipped over and sat one of the two beds in the room. This was the twin's room. Nari ran over and jumped on to the bed as well and Vali went to sit on the other bed.

The two looked at each other for a moment and then looked to her. The door had been closed and they had even closed the balcony doors. They were taking no chances on being heard.

"Hela," Vali started carefully, "When was the very last time you saw Father?"

Hela looked down and thought for a moment. "I caught a glimpse of him back at the house in the woods right before Tony carried me away." She closed her eyes at the thought of it. That last glimpse could have been the last time she saw her father, after all.

Vali and Nari shared one more look before they both nodded and looked at her at the same time. "What if you could see him again?"

She froze and slowly looked between the two. "See him again? What do you mean?"

"We want to find out where he is, Hel," Vali mumbled, "We want to find our father. And we want to help him get free."

Her eyes widened and she sucked in a breath. They wanted to break their father out of prison? Were they crazy? But then again, Hela wanted to see him again. She needed to see him again.