Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

An hour later Lucy was sitting at her desk in her room listening to music while she did her homework when she heard the doorbell ring.

Getting up she headed downstairs to the front door. Feeling cautious she asked, “Who’s there?

“It’s me Hayden”

After unlocking the door, she opens it to see Hayden standing there with his hands in his jean pockets and a worried look on his face.

“Hey” She says

“Hey” He replies softly

“Did you want to come in?”

“If that’s OK. Your parent’s won’t mind will they?”

Lucy snorts at his question

“My parents are never here. So you don’t have to worry about them.”

Hayden pauses for a second then proceeds to enter her house. Closing the front door Lucy makes her way back upstairs to her room with Hayden following close behind her.

Walking into her room Lucy takes a seat on her bed and looks at Hayden. Feeling the need to apologise she says

“I’m sorry I just took off like that after school. I just needed to clear my head and talk to Abby. I should of let you know that I wasn’t getting a ride with you”

“You don’t need to apologise Lucy, I was just worried something happened to you.” He walks over to Lucy and sits beside her taking her hand in his. As usual, the electric shocks shoots up her hand as soon as they touched.

“Why does that always happen when you touch me?” she asks

Hayden takes a big breath and blows it out slowly

“It’s kind of complicated” He pauses thinking how best to approach this subject “To be perfectly honest I don’t know how to explain it to you without explaining everything about me to you.”

“What do you mean everything about you?” she asks frowning

He starts rubbing his neck with his hand.

“I’m really stuffing this up. Look, I don’t know how to explain this just yet. Can I get a rain-check on the question?” He asks nervously not ready to explain.

Lucy snorts at this “A Rain-check? You can’t rain-check questions.”

Hayden smiles at her “Sure you can. I just did” His smile is quickly replaced by a serious expression. "Look I promise I will explain everything to you, just not yet. I want you to get to know me a bit better before I bare my soul to you. Can you wait a bit longer? Can I have my rain-check?"

“OK fine.” Lucy laughs and Hayden joins in relieved that she didn't push for the truth.

The smile slips off Hayden’s lips and he looks at Lucy seriously

“Will you tell me the reason you left school with Abby?”

Lucy laugh dies in her throat.

“UH Its just.” She pauses thinking “You're probably going to think I’m stupid. What happened was Luna cornered me after lunch and kind of mentioned how you two were dating and recently broke up and that I was just your rebound girl” when she finished rambling she shrugged her shoulders at him. “I didn’t believe her at first but then I started to think about it and I got a bit upset so I went with Abby to talk about it. So yeah that’s why” When she finished she looked up into Hayden’s eyes and asks, “So is it true?”