Chapter Thirty Eight

"Emily!"
I turned around to see Hermione standing in front of me, a box held in her hands.
"What's in the box?" I asked curiously.
"Funny you should ask," said Hermione, "as that's exactly why I wanted to talk to you"
She took off the lid and to show me the contents. Inside were about fifty badges, all of different colors, but all bearing the same letters: S. P. E .W.
"Spew?" I asked, picking up a badge and looking at it. "What's this about?"
"Not spew," said Hermione impatiently. "It's S-P-E-W. Stands for the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare."
"Huh?"
"I've only just started it" Hermione explained
"How many members have you got?"
"Well - if you join - then 5. But you could get the twins and Lee in on it right?" She asked hopefully.
I cringed slightly at the name on the badges, inspecting it wearily.
"Spew? Was there not a better word?"
"Not spew! S-P-E-W" she huffed.
I threw my arms up in surrender, backing off a bit.
"Okay, but why are you trying to free them. They live to serve, they choose to work at Hogwarts. They're free to leave whenever" I explained, arms crossed.
"Oh - I didn't know that - but they can't exactly leave, where would they go? It's just as bad! Besides, their imprisonment date back centuries!" She raged "No ones done anything for them"
Deciding it was a lost battle, I sighed and handed Hermione the 2 sickle payment.
"Thanks" she grinned, rushing back over to her friends.
I shook my head in exasperation, walking up to the twins' dorm room to work on the map some more.

Over the next few weeks the excitement for the Triwizard Tournament seemed to grow again, as the arrival date for the other schools approached quickly.

One place that didn't fill me with excitement anymore was DADA, as Moody had announced last lesson that he was going to start using the Imperius curse on them to show them how to fight it. This didn't sit well with me - the image of the spider was still fresh in my mind.

"But - but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Angelina uncertainly as Moody cleared away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said - to use it against another human was -"
"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto Angelina and fixing her with an eerie, unblinking stare. "If you'd rather learn the hard way - when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely - fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."
He pointed one gnarled finger toward the door, but Angelina didn't budge.

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them. I watched as, one by one, people were called to the middle of the room. Watching people act completely unlike themselves was highly unsettling.
Fred had hopped around like a frog for a minute straight, Dolohov had acted like a bird (this was highly amusing for me to watch) cawing at his friends, Lee had started singing a dodgy version of 'God save the Queen' and George had done some ballet moves.
No one had come close to stopping it, but Moody wasn't giving out instructions.

"Granger" he called, and I nervously stepped into the middle.
Moody raised his wand and pointed it directly at me "Imperio"
I was suddenly wrapped in a light feeling, almost like I was floating, as if every worry had been wiped from my mind.
This isn't right I thought, not liking the weightless feeling. It was as if it knew I was resisting, the floating feeling had vanished and was instead replaced by a smothering constrictive feeling.
Panic had started to brew in my chest, when all of a sudden I heard Mad Eye's voice echoing throughout the emptiness inside my head.
"jump on the desk ... jump on the desk"

I had decided that I definitely did not want to jump on the desk, especially when I felt I would float away if I even lifted a toe from the ground.
"Jump onto the desk NOW"
I really did not want to move. A sudden tug seemed to pull at my legs, but my stubbornness made my knee buckle instead, my feet still refusing to move.
Suddenly the weightless feeling disappeared, being replaced by a soreness in my knee where it had buckled, pushing me back slightly.

"She almost didn't move at all! That's more like it - she fought the impulse - didn't even move forward - well done Granger" Moody growled

I nodded shakily, wanting to get out of the middle of the room.
"Again" moody ordered, pointing his wand at me again "try to throw it off completely"
I exchanged a pleading look with Fred before I felt the same feeling return to my body.

"Jump on the table"
I didn't want to jump on the fucking table. Almost as quickly as it came on, the feeling disappeared again.

Moody's mouth fell open slightly, and I could feel heated glares coming from the Slytherins.
"You just broke out of it - 10 points to Gryffindor!" Moody barked, allowing me to stand back next to Fred, "See? It can be done - you just need to fight it"
I let out a shaky breath as the next person was called up, grabbing Fred's arm as I tried to shake off the ill feeling that had been left behind.

"How the hell did you do that?" Lee whispered awestruck "you ruined it - I wanted to see you breakdance or something"
I scoffed quietly, rolling my eyes at him.
"I just didn't want to jump on the table" I shrugged.

When we arrived in the entrance hall after going to Charms, I found myself unable to proceed owing to the large crowd of students congregated there, all milling around a large sign that had been erected at the foot of the marble staircase. I groaned, tugging on Fred's arm. He chuckled, realising I couldn't read the board, instead reading it off for me.

TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT
THE DELEGATIONS FROM BEAUXBATONS AND
DURMSTRANG WILL BE ARRIVING AT 6 O'CLOCK
ON FRIDAY THE 30TH OF OCTOBER. LESSONS WILL
END HALF AN HOUR EARLY
STUDENTS WILL RETURN THEIR BAGS AND BOOKS TO THEIR DORMITORIES AND ASSEMBLE IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE TO GREET OUR GUESTS BEFORE THE WELCOMING FEAST.

"Hell yeah!" Lee cheered, leading us through the crowds and towards the hall for dinner.
"We need to start on the potion" George pointed out, earning a nod from Fred "can you get it done by then Emily?"
"Are you sure you still wanna do it?"
They all looked at me as if I was stupid.
"Okay! Damn! Yes I can get it done" I said confidently.