Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Nine

"What could be up here that's not on the map" I frowned, the four of us making our way up to the seventh floor. Harry had cornered us on the way out of charms, giving us a room number and time before slipping away.
"Who knows," Lee shrugged, "As long as it's away from the bats' prying eyes, I don't think I care much."
"Preach."
At the end of the hallway was a shiny door, Fred frowning. "I swear I recognise this place."
"Me too." George echoed, mirroring his frown.
We were the last ones to arrive, Harry locking the door behind us with a resolute 'click'.

"Well," said Harry, slightly nervously. "This is the place we've found for practices, and you've — er — obviously found it okay —"
"It's fantastic!" said Cho, and several people murmured their agreement.
"It's bizarre," said Fred, frowning around at it. "We once hid from Filch in here, remember, George? But it was just a broom cupboard then. . . ."
"Hey, Harry, what's this stuff?" asked Dean from the rear of the room, indicating the Sneakoscopes and the Foe-Glass.
"Dark Detectors," said Harry, stepping between the cushions to reach them. "Basically they all show when Dark wizards or enemies are around, but you don't want to rely on them too much, they can be fooled. . . ."
"Well, I've been thinking about the sort of stuff we ought to do first and — er —" He noticed a raised hand. "What, Hermione?"
"I think we ought to elect a leader," said Hermione.
"Harry's leader," said Cho at once, looking at Hermione as though she were mad.
"Yes, but I think we ought to vote on it properly," said Hermione, unperturbed. "It makes it formal and it gives him authority. So — everyone who thinks Harry ought to be our leader?"
Everybody put up their hands, even Zacharias Smith, though he did it very halfheartedly.
"Er — right, thanks," said Harry, who could feel his face burning. "And — what, Hermione?"
"I also think we ought to have a name," she said brightly, her hand still in the air. "It would promote a feeling of team spirit and unity, don't you think?"
"Can we be the Anti-Umbridge League?" said Angelina hopefully.
"Ooh I like that one" I said, nodding at her.
"Or the Ministry of Magic Are Morons Group?" suggested Fred.
"Also good."
"I was thinking," said Hermione, frowning at Fred, "more of a name that didn't tell everyone what we were up to, so we can refer to it safely outside meetings."
"The Defense Association?" said Cho. "The D.A. for short, so nobody knows what we're talking about?"
"Yeah, the D.A.'s good," said Ginny. "Only let's make it stand for Dumbledore's Army because that's the Ministry's worst fear, isn't it?"
There was a good deal of appreciative murmuring and laughter at this.
I looked at her proudly, laughing when she winked.
"All in favor of the D.A.?" said Hermione bossily, kneeling up on her cushion to count. "That's a majority — motion passed!"
She pinned the piece of paper with all of their names on it on the wall and wrote DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY across the top in large letters.
"Right," said Harry, when she had sat down again, "shall we get practicing then? I was thinking, the first thing we should do is Expelliarmus, you know, the Disarming Charm. I know it's pretty basic but I've found it really useful —"
"Oh please," said Zacharias Smith, rolling his eyes and folding his arms. "I don't think Expelliarmus is exactly going to help us against You-Know-Who, do you?"
"I've used it against him," said Harry quietly. "It saved my life last June."
Smith opened his mouth stupidly. The rest of the room was very quiet, and I fought to hold back my laugh at the Zacharias' face.
"But if you think it's beneath you, you can leave," Harry said. Smith did not move. Nor did anybody else.
"Okay," said Harry, "I reckon we should all divide into pairs and practice."

I linked my arm through Lee's immediately, sticking my tongue out at George as he made a cry of protest.
Lee and I arranged ourselves into a duelling position, facing each other with our wands raised.
Harry cleared his throat, stood next to a nervous Neville. "Right — on the count of three, then — one, two, three —"
"EXPELLIARMUS!"

I burst into laughter as Lee's wand flew from his grip, the boy making aborted movements to try and grab it

"Don't laugh," he pouted, picking his wand up from the floor, "Let's go again."
We took turns letting ourselves get hit with the spell, before we were distracted by an annoyed huff to our right.
Zacharias, every time he opened his mouth to disarm Anthony Goldstein, found his own wand flying out of his hand, yet Anthony did not seem to be making a sound.
"You don't think..."
We both looked at the twins, snickering as they hit the Hufflepuff's back with the spell, incantation spoken under their breath.
Harry caught them only a few moments later, the twins abandoning their amusement and turning to practice the spell.
"I'd say we're pretty good at this" Lee said, knocking my wand from my hand for the fifth time.
"Pretty good? We're better than pretty good," I joked, returning the favour, "Practically aurors at this point."
A whistle cut through the babble of the room, Harry stopping once he gained everyone's attention.
"That wasn't bad," he said, "but there's definite room for improvement." Zacharias Smith glared at him. "Let's try again. . . ."
The twins made their way over to us, wicked grins on their faces.
"How about a little tournament among friends?" Fred asked.
"Some healthy competition" George added.
Exchanging looks, Lee and I nodded confidently, "Go on then."

George and I were first, Fred counting down from our left.
"One, two, GO!"
"Expelliarmus!" I cried, making a clean movement with my wand, smirking as George's wand sailed across the room.
Lee chuckled, high fiving me as I came to stand beside him, Fred standing where I had just been.
"Who's the better twin?" Lee goaded, using his announcer voice, "Three, two, one. GO!"
Somehow, both of their wands fell from their hands at once.
"I don't think Ive ever seen anyone draw." I said, somewhat shocked.
"I'm going to be honest," Harry said as he walked past, "I've never seen that happen before."
"Best of three?" George asked.
They drew once more, Fred finally disarming his brother the third try.
"Not looking good for you there, Georgie," Lee smirked, taking a quick look around the room to make sure no one was looking before pressing a kiss to his cheek, "Ready to lose 3 for 3?"
"It's not fair" he whined, though I could see a blush working it's way up his neck, "I was distracted."
"Both times?"
"I could feel your eyes on me."
Lee scoffed affectionately, "Remind me to never look at you if we're ever actively fighting someone."
"Sod off."
I turned to Fred, a fake pout on my lips, "We used to be that cute."
"Vomit-inducing you mean?"
"Yep."
Fred rolled his eyes affectionately, pressing a kiss to my temple before refocusing on the boys in front of us.
"Are you lovebirds quite done?" he asked, waiting for them to raise their wands before counting down.
Once again, George's wand fell from his hand.
"Shit!"
Fred laughed, patting him on the back as he took his place. "Bring it Jordan."
The two settled into positions, Fred letting his mouth drop open, pointing to something over Lee's shoulder as I said 'go'.
The wand flew from Lee's hand. "Hey! That's cheating!"
Fred smirked, shrugging, "War won't be fair, Lee. I'm only preparing you for the cruelty of battle."
"Absolute dick." Lee muttered, moving to George's side, fierce frown on his face.
"That was a bit unfair, Fred." I sighed, raising my wand, "I hope you know that shit won't work on me."
"I can still beat you without it," Fred replied cockily, nodding at his brother to start the count.
"EXPELLIARMUS!"
I jumped, catching Fred's wand in my free hand, "You were saying?"
He just looked at me, eyes dark, "I'm not even going to lie to you. That was hot, darling."
"Charmer."
He laughed, pulling me towards him by my waist and connecting our lips in a kiss. Surprised, my grip weakened on his wand, Fred plucking it from my grasp and pulling away with a smirk, "Of course, if I ever needed to steal anything from you I can always just do that. Tried and tested."
I felt the blush creep over my face as I pushed him, "Arse."

The whistle blew again.
"Well, that was pretty good," said Harry, "but we've overrun, we'd better leave it here. Same time, same place next week?"
"Sooner!" said Dean Thomas eagerly and many people nodded in agreement.
Angelina, however, said quickly, "The Quidditch season's about to start, we need team practices too!"
"Let's say next Wednesday night, then," said Harry, "and we can decide on additional meetings then. . . . Come on, we'd better get going. . . ."