47

● ● ● ● ● ●

"Give me a reason to stay alive."

● ● ● ● ● ●

It had been two weeks since the onesie pajama party when Josh texted Fynnley with a curious suggestion.

Josh: Hey, what are you guys up to this weekend?

Fynn: Cleaning and trying to get our lives together. What about you?

Josh: I got an email from my credit card company that said I have enough points for a free two-night stay at a hotel. I was thinking we could take the boys out of town for a little getaway... we don't have to go far away, but I figured they might appreciate a change in scenery.

Fynn: Oh yeah? Will there be food involved?

Josh: As always.

Fynn: I'll ask Oli and let you know, but I'm sure he'll say yes. When?

Josh: I was thinking Friday-Sunday. Maybe we could stay someplace outside of Columbus that's... more intimate?

Fynn: Ooh la la. ;) Planning to make your move?

Josh: Shush. Not that it's any of your business, anyway, but no... I was just thinking we could use the time to talk.

Fynn: About Nico's sentencing?

Josh: Yeah. They need to be ready for whenever they schedule it.

Fynn: You're right. The sooner, the better.

Josh: Let me know what Oliver says and I'll check with Tyler too, yeah?

Fynn: Looking forward to it, dork!

● ● ● ● ● ●

Barely an hour into the drive and Tyler was already feeling soft. He didn't know whether it was from lack of a good night's sleep or the banter between Josh and Fynnley... or maybe it was Oliver sitting next to him.

Fighting the urge to grab his pacifier, he focused instead on the landscape rushing past them on the highway. Despite the fact it was only mid-morning, he already longed for it to be bedtime. Sleep was always scarce for him when he had something important planned for the next day, and last night hadn't been an exception.

Switching his attention to the rearview mirror, he studied the focused look on Josh's face as he drove... that is before his Protector caught him staring.

"I see you watching me, Ty-Ty," Josh teased. "You look so sleepy."

Tyler nodded a little. "I am."

Fynn turned around to look at him. "Hey, we can turn the music down if you want to take a nap until we get there."

He shook his head. "No, I don't mind. I'm just afraid that if I fall asleep, I'll miss something important."

"Trust me, Tyler, if Josh is talking... you're not missing much."

"Oh, kiss my ass, Fynnley."

"Language," Tyler scolded them. When he heard a snicker, he turned to look at Oliver, who had a big smile on his face. "What's so funny?"

"You," Oliver replied. "I think you're the most innocent guy I've ever met."

Tyler blushed. "I'm not that innocent..."

"Well, aren't you two a pair of lovebirds?"

When Tyler turned his head, he expected Fynnley to have a weird look on his face, but surprisingly, he was nothing but smiles.