3

● ● ● ● ● ●

"Cut open my sternum and pull my little ribs around you."

● ● ● ● ● ●

"This is your room, Tyler."

Tyler gasped as he took in everything around him. A huge bed with luxuriant blankets and tall windows that let in every inch of sunshine... he was amazed at how bright and welcoming it was.

"You have such a nice house," Tyler breathed out. He carefully set his bag down on the bed, afraid that he might somehow mess it up. "Are you... are you a millionaire?"

Josh laughed a little. "Not at all, sweetheart. I come from a well-off family, yes, but I bought this house with my own money."

Tyler was a little surprised. Josh certainly didn't look like he was well-off; he didn't own sports cars or have on designer clothes. But he also knew that looks could definitely deceive when it came to those things.

"I like it." Tyler sat down on the edge of the bed, wincing a little as the bed springs creaked underneath him. "Ouch," he mumbled.

Josh laid a hand on Tyler's shoulder, a concerned look on his face. "You okay?"

"Y-Yes... well, not really." Tyler rubbed his hands up and down his thighs. "I'm tired and everything hurts."

"Do you want to lay down? I can help you into bed."

He shook his head. "No, no. I just want to get better. I can't remember the last time that I actually felt... normal."

"I know, Tyler. All of this must be really hard on you." Josh sat down next to him, resting his hand on Tyler's knee. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"You've done so much for me already, Josh," Tyler replied. "I don't know how I can ever thank you for everything."

Josh smiled a little. "No need to thank me for anything, sweetheart. Let's just focus on getting you better, okay?"

Tyler nodded. "Okay." Holding the sleeve of his hoodie up to his nose, he grimaced a little. Jeez, I think I need to focus on taking a bath... I wasn't able to bathe much while I was at the shelter."

"How come?"

"Well, the last time I was weighed, I'd lost 25 pounds because... well, for one, my Time Keeper has been really low. And two, my Protector never let me eat anything because he said I was too fat."

Josh couldn't believe how such a tall and slender boy like Tyler could ever believe such horrid lies. But he kept silent and let him continue talking.

"There were showers at the shelter but I didn't want to scare anyone with my body, so I avoided them as much as I possibly could. Plus, if someone were to see my Time Keeper symbol, they might've kicked me out." Tyler looked down, biting his lip. "Everyone hates Keepers, you know..."

"I don't." Josh's hand tightened around Tyler's knee. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that." Inside of his mind, Josh wanted to find out who Tyler's ex-Protector was so he could beat the crap out of him for daring to lay a finger on this beautiful boy. "Can I make you something to eat? I'll go to the store and buy you anything that you want."

The expression on Tyler's face turned  uncertain, so Josh decided to re-word his question. "Hey... What's your favorite food?"

"I don't know," Tyler mumbled, wrapping his arms across his chest. "I... I guess, I..." His voice trailed off before he shook his head a little. "Never mind."

"No, tell me," Josh urged him.

Tyler swallowed before speaking again. "I like pasta. My grandma used to make the best pasta when I was a little kid. I miss eating that."

Josh smiled, happy that Tyler had thought of something that he liked to eat. "Let's eat that for dinner. It probably won't be as good as your grandma's, but I'll try my best."

Tyler couldn't find the heart to tell Josh that he would probably throw up anything that he tried to eat. So he just nodded and managed another blink-and-you'll-miss-it smile. "Thanks, Joshua. I just don't want to seem lazy."

Josh shook his head. "You're not lazy at all, Tyler. I want you to rest, okay? Let's get you a bath going so you can soak and then after you're settled in, I'll head to the store and get the stuff we need for dinner. How does that sound?"

"Sounds okay." Tyler was a bit unsteady as he stood to his feet, Josh holding onto his arm for support. "Such long legs, you'd think they'd work right..."

"Take your time, love. Don't overdo it." Josh toyed with an idea inside of his mind, but he wasn't sure whether he should suggest it to Tyler or not.

Tyler locked eyes with him, sensing he had something to say. "What?"

Josh scratched the back of his neck, a hesitant look on his face. "This is probably gonna sound really weird, but I wanted to know if I can help you get into the bathtub. Just as a precaution so you don't fall and hurt yourself."

Tyler looked away, frowning a little. "You're not going to make fun of me?"

"Of course not, Tyler. Why would I do that?"

"I'm just so used to..." Tyler trailed off before letting out a heavy sign. "Never mind. Sorry."

Josh gave him an understanding nod. Trust would never, ever be an overnight process. "Tell you what... I'll close my eyes while you get in the bathtub. Just hold on to my hand while you do so you don't fall. Deal?"

"Alright. Deal."

"Let's get you cleaned up, yeah?" Josh said as he stood next to Tyler.

Tyler watched Josh extend his hand out, offering an invitation to strange places with an even stranger, yet alluring man. Slowly, he slipped his hand into Josh's and let himself be led to the bathroom.

The synapses in his arm lit on fire as he felt his Time Keeper tick a little faster.

● ● ● ● ● ●

Stick with me, frens, I appreciate you.

Do you have any pets? (Domestic, exotic or otherwise)

● ● ● ● ● ●