9

● ● ● ● ● ●

"And I've completely lost myself, and I don't mind."

● ● ● ● ● ●

"This guy sells great ice cream. You'll love it."

Tyler tried his best to keep up with Josh as he led him to a ice cream stand in the middle of the park. They had arrived just ten minutes ago, yet he was already so mesmerized by the beautiful scenery.

He had spent most of his life in this city, but had never been to this park before. Did he even know his hometown?

Or was it all just part of a blurred façade?

When it was their turn to order, Tyler felt a bit too shy, so he let Josh take the lead.

"I'll have one strawberry cone," Josh said to the man. "And what would you like, Ty?"

"Vanilla," he replied softly.

Tyler stood off to the side, feeling a bit awkward, as Josh paid for their ice cream. Pulling the sleeves on his jacket as far as they would go, he crossed his arms across his chest, willing himself completely invisible and out of judgment's way.

"You okay, Tyler?"

He turned to see Josh with two ice cream cones in his hands and a concerned look on his face. Feeling embarrassed by how weird he was being, he nodded and accepted the ice cream, otherwise remaining silent.

Josh wasn't fooled, though, so he placed a comforting hand on the small of Tyler's back. "C'mon, follow me," he said.

Tyler followed him down the path until it split off into a fork. Taking the left path, they walked for a few more minutes until their final destination came into view.

A playground...?

"Aren't we a little too... big for the playground?" Tyler asked, an eyebrow raised.

Josh grinned. "You're never too big for the swings!"

Tyler watched as his Protector took off running. Chuckling, he kept walking at his own pace, not bothered to chase after Josh while he was still eating his ice cream.

When he finally got over there, Josh was already swinging, licking his ice cream cone with one hand while holding onto the seat chain with the other.

"You're gonna make yourself sick," Tyler warned him as he sat down on the other swing, careful to avoid dripping anything onto his new jeans.

"I'll be fine," Josh said, smiling. "It takes serious skills to swing and eat, you know!"

Tyler smiled. I sure have an interesting Protector, he thought.

After a while, Josh stopped swinging and the two of them just idly pushed their shoes back and forth through the wood chips.

"You've got some strawberry on your face," Tyler teased, laughing a little as he leaned over to wipe Josh's face with the corner of his sleeve.

Josh smiled. "Thanks. Should have just kissed it away instead, cutie."

Tyler giggled, soft and sweet, as he looked away. "You're silly, Joshua."

"Am I?" Josh moved so he faced Tyler directly. "Maybe you're the silly one."

He giggled again. "Am not." 

"You have the cutest little laugh. It's precious." Josh gently knocked his knee against Tyler's. "And I love your smile."

Tyler held his hand up to his mouth, feeling a bit self-conscious at just the mention of his smile. "My bottom teeth are so crooked."